An easy recipe for a lush, green broccoli pesto with no cheese, which can be made with standard broccoli or tenderstem broccoli.
EASY BROCCOLI PESTO (vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free)
Homemade pesto is a really delicious thing.
It just has so much flavour and you can really play about with it.
You can change the herbs and the nuts, add vegetables for flavour and nutrients and you can add vegan parmesan (or whatever hard cheese you use) or leave it out.
This tasty pesto is made with broccoli and no cheese.
I used tenderstem broccoli, but you can use standard broccoli and it is just as good.
WHAT IS TENDERSTEM BROCCOLI?
Tenderstem is a mix of Chinese kale and broccoli.
As the name says, these are tender broccoli stems and you eat the stems as well as the broccoli heads as it is soft enough to eat and tastes great.
DOES TENDERSTEM BROCCOLI HAVE ANOTHER NAME?
Tenderstem has many different names. Tenderstem is the name used in the UK, but it is also known as:
- ITALIAN SPROUTING BROCCOLI
- SWEET BABY BROCCOLI
CAN I USE NORMAL BROCCOLI INSTEAD OF TENDERSTEM BROCCOLI?
WHICH OIL SHOULD YOU USE WHEN MAKING PESTO?
CASHEW NUTS IN PESTO
WHICH NUTS CAN YOU USE TO MAKE PESTO?
- PINE NUTS
- CASHEW NUTS
- MACADAMIA NUTS
- SUNFLOWER SEEDS
- PUMPKIN SEEDS
- SESAME SEEDS
VEGAN PARMESAN IN PESTO
HOW LONG CAN YOU KEEP PESTO?
- Fold pesto through hot pasta with roast vegetables
- Mix it through cold pasta with crunchy salad veg
- Mix it through spaghetti with some chilli flakes and black pepper
- Spread on the inside of a toastie before adding cheese
- Thin it with more olive oil and serve as a salad dressing or dress roasted vegetables with it
- Mix it through mashed potatoes
- Add small dollops to your pizza for more flavour
- Spread it on a salad sandwich
- Top a spicy bean burger with it
- Mix it through couscous and add crunchy salad or roast veg
- Dollop it on a baked potato with grated vegan cheddar
- Add a dollop to your chilli when you serve it
- Add a dollop to soup when you serve it
- Use it as a dip, with crisps (chips) and crunchy veg
- Mix it through vegan butter with garlic and spread on bread to make delicious garlic bread
MORE VEGAN DIPS TO TRY
- Easy Hummus Recipe
- Homemade Vegan Cashew Pesto
- Red Pepper Sweet Chilli Sauce
- Spinach & Lemon Pesto
- Vegan Lemon & Chive Dip for Chips
WANT NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX ?
HOW TO MAKE BROCCOLI PESTO
Easy Broccoli Pesto
- 60 g broccoli 10 stalks tenderstem or 4-6 florets standard broccoli
- 10 g fresh basil
- 1 clove garlic
- 200 g cashew nuts
- 250 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Whizz all the ingredients until smooth or nearly smooth in a blender, food processor, pestle and mortar or in a beaker or jug with a hand blender.
- Taste to check and adjust the seasoning.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You may use standard broccoli instead of tenderstem.
- You may add vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast (nooch) if you like, but do try it without it.
- This pesto can be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- This pesto can be frozen in portions and defrosted in the fridge.