This easy recipe for creamy vegan tahini salad dressing takes a couple of minutes to make. It's velvety and delicious!
My latest vegan salad dressing zings with flavour.
It only takes a couple of minutes to make and it's a small batch, so won't be wasted.
All quick to make, small batch, vegan and delicious.
- 💭 What is tahini?
- 🥬 Small batch salad dressing
- 🥗 Storing homemade salad dressing
- 🍋 What you need to make a creamy tahini dressing
- 🍔 How to use tahini dressing
- 💭 Top tip
- 🥛 How long does creamy salad dressing last?
- 🌯 Here are a few recipes to make and serve with this tahini sauce
- ⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
- 👩🏻🍳 How to make vegan tahini salad dressing
- 📖 Recipe
💭 What is tahini?
The hero flavour in this delicious dairy-free salad dressing is tahini paste, but what is it?
Tahini or tahina as it is also called is a Middle Eastern paste made from toasted sesame seeds.
Seeds are ground and blended with oil and sometimes a little salt to make a very silky condiment.
It's tasty stuff and full of vitamins and minerals.
Read this article Why tahini is good for you in The Guardian to find out more.
🥬 Small batch salad dressing
They just make sense.
You can have a few different flavours in the fridge and you don't end up pouring them down the drain as they've sat too long.
It gives you a bit of variety too. Which is always a good thing.
🥗 Storing homemade salad dressing
Jam jars make the perfect salad dressing jar.
They are airtight and you can see which dressing is in the jar and you can give the dressing a good shake before you use it.
There's a tendency for the dressing to separate as it sits, so do give it a good shake.
🍋 What you need to make a creamy tahini dressing
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this vegan salad dressing.
- Mayo - vegan
- Lemon juice - fresh is best
- Maple syrup
- Parsley - dried or fresh
- Salt & pepper - to season
- Water - to thin the dressing
🍔 How to use tahini dressing
Here are a few ideas of how to use this dressing.
- Salad - as you might expect
- Wraps - dress your wrap fillings for the best wraps
- Pasta salad - it makes a tasty dressing for pasta
- Burger - drizzle your burger with it
- Falafel - drizzle falafel with tahini dressing or use it as a dip
- Crudites - as a dip for crunchy veg
💭 Top tip
Now don't panic when you get to the section of the recipe that says to add water.
It may sound crazy to add water to a salad dressing, but it does need to be thinned and you don't have to worry, the dressing won't separate when water is added.
Just give it a good shake to emulsify it.
🥛 How long does creamy salad dressing last?
Keep it in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days.
Creamy dressings have fresh ingredients, so they don't last as long as an oil-based vinaigrette.
Another reason to make small batches of dressing.
🌯 Here are a few recipes to make and serve with this tahini sauce
They are all vegan, easy to make and super tasty.
- Air Fryer Falafel - definitely needs a dip!
- Easy Chickpea & Coriander Burgers - drizzle with the dressing.
- Paprika Spiced Sweet Potato Fries - dunk them in the dairy-free tahini sauce.
- Tex Mex Chopped Corn Salad - try drizzling this easy tahini dressing instead of ranch dressing.
⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
Have you seen the little heart in The Vegan Lunchbox ?
Hit it to like the recipe.
Or hit the molecule-like symbol beside it, to save your favourite recipes or share them.
👩🏻🍳 How to make vegan tahini salad dressing
Step-by-step photos. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe (with full ingredient list, calories and nutritional info).
Step 1 - The tahini
- In a clean jam jar or another airtight jar, add vegan mayo.
- Then add tahini and lemon juice. The tahini may need a good mix before you add it to the dressing.
Step 2 - The herbs
- Now add the herbs and the maple syrup for a bit of sweetness.
- Season with salt and pepper, but not too much salt.
Step 3 - Don't panic
- Next, you add water.
- That may seem odd in a dressing and look like dirty dishwasher, but trust me! Add it and give it a good shake. There, the perfect consistency!
Creamy Vegan Tahini Salad Dressing
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup (or agave nectar, but remember it's sweeter)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (not too much salt)
- Add all the ingredients to a clean jam jar or another jar with a tight lid and shake well until cmbined. You might need to use a teaspoon to help along any bits in the bottom of the jar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water, Sounds odd, but trust me. Now put the lid back on and shake like crazy.
- Taste for seasoning and to check the consistency, you can add a little more water if you want it a bit thinner.
- Keep it in the fridge until you need it and give it a good shake before serving.
- Each serving is about 2 tablespoons. If you just use 1 tablespoon of dressing it will be about 60 calories (if you're counting).
- This will keep in the fridge for about 4 days (at it's best).
- Give it a good shake before serving as salad dressing has a tendency to separate and settle as it sits.
- Drizzle over salads, wraps (drizzle over the filling), falafel or burgers.