The most delicious Tex Mex Corn Chopped Salad with vegan feta and easy homemade ranch dressing served with tortilla chips for a Mexican-style lunch.
I'm drooling just looking at this again. It was so scrumptiously good!
A chopped salad, heavy on sweet corn, topped with salted vegan cheese and a creamy vegan salad dressing.
Hands up if you want a bowl of this now? Let me know in the comments if it caught your attention.
- 🥗 What is a chopped salad all about?
- 🥗 Where does chopped salad come from?
- 🥑 Why is this Tex Mex Corn Salad so good?
- 🌽 What do you need to make corn chopped salad?
- 🥣 Ranch dressing
- 🥙 How to serve Mexican corn salad
- 🥗 How long will chopped salad keep?
- 🥗 More vegan salad and salad dressing recipes to try
- 📋 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
- ⭐ Pin it for later
- 🥦 Living on the Veg
- 💭 How to make corn chopped salad
- 📖 Recipe
🥗 What is a chopped salad all about?
You may say all salads are chopped, which is true but this is a particular style of salad.
In a chopped salad, the ingredients are all chopped into a small uniform size, then tossed together in dressing.
I didn't toss the dressing through my salad until I was about to serve it, but it's definitely a chopped salad and a pleasure to eat.
🥗 Where does chopped salad come from?
Back in 1956, it was rumoured Natalie Wood (an award-winning Hollywood actress who disappeared in her 40s and was never found) asked the chef in a famous Italian restaurant in LA called La Scala to chop their gourmet salad and so the chopped salad was born.
Apparently, movie stars would dine with their fine gowns on and a chopped salad was less messy to eat than a regular salad.
La Scala was frequented at the time by big-screen stars like Marilyn Monroe.
This famous Beverly Hills restaurant still makes and sells a lot of chopped salads and they are still popular over 60 years later.
These salads are probably even more popular today. If you're on Tik Tok or should I say Food Tok, then you'll be seeing chopped salads a lot in your stream.
🥑 Why is this Tex Mex Corn Salad so good?
- Sweetness from the corn
- The combination of flavours and textures
- How colourful and appealing it looks
- Fresh herbs add to the flavour
- Creamy dressing that can be bought or made at home quickly
- The salty cheese, that contrasts so well with the salad
- The spices and the fact you can add a little or a lot
- It can be keot in the fridge for a few days
- You can feel virtuous eating lots of healthy salad
- You're eating the rainbow
Also, try this chopped lentil couscous salad.
🌽 What do you need to make corn chopped salad?
Here are the colourful salad ingredients you need to make the best corn chopped salad.
- Sweetcorn - I used canned corn
- Red onion
- Red pepper
- Fresh corainder - you can use parsley if you don't like coriander (cilantro)
- Lemon juice
- Vegan feta
- Vegan ranch dressing - I make my own, but you can buy ready made
See recipe card for quantities.
🥣 Ranch dressing
Salad dressing makes a salad and it's super easy and quick to make, so why buy it?
I like to make up dressing in a jam jar, which will keep happily in the fridge for a week, for a creamy dressing.
Oli and vinegar style dressings last longer.
The salad dressing I drizzle on this salad is a ranch dressing, which has to be one of my favourite dressings.
I make a small batch in jar, although it never lasts that long.
Here is my recipe for vegan ranch dressing, if you want to try it.
🥙 How to serve Mexican corn salad
This Mexican chopped salad is great served as it is, topped with vegan feta cheese and ranch dressing, but here are a few more serving ideas.
- Tortilla chips - I like it to serve this summer chopped salad with tortilla chips for scooping and a bit of crunch, have a go at making your own with my recipe for homemade paprika tortilla chips
- Pitta bread - fill pitta bread with the salad and feta and drizzle with the ranch dressing
- Baked Potato - heap it high on a baked spud
- Pasta - toss it through cold, glossy pasta with some of the feta and dressing to make a tasty pasta salad
🥗 How long will chopped salad keep?
Chopped salad can be kept in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Don't add the cheese or dressing until you are ready to serve.
🥗 More vegan salad and salad dressing recipes to try
Here are a few more salad and salad dressing recipes you might like.
Here are some easy vegan salads to enjoy at home for lunch or to pack in your lunch box for school or work.
- Balsamic Beet Slaw - Perfect if you want a different kind of slaw or don't like a creamy dressing.
- Carrot Dill Coleslaw - This easy vegan coleslaw recipe with grated carrot and fresh dill is packed with crunchy vegetables and it's super tasty.
- Coronation Coleslaw - A tasty vegan coronation coleslaw flavoured with spices and mango chutney. Perfect as a sandwich filling, served with a baked potato or dolloped on a burger.
- Creamy Cheese Pasta Salad - This delicious cheese pasta salad is perfect for vegan lunch boxes, but it's also good as a side dish or an option for picnics, BBQs, potlucks & buffets.
- Dill Potato Salad - A simple potato salad with lots of fresh dill. An incredibly tasty side salad to add to your lunch or dinner.
- Macaroni Salad - An easy but tasty macaroni salad with a creamy dressing
- Ploughman's Lunch - Traditional British pub grub
Vegan salad dressing
Here are a few easy salad dressing recipes for you to try.
- Creamy Russian Dressing - The most heavenly dressing that's often served on a Reuben sandwich, but is great on a salad too.
- Creamy Sriracha Dip - serve it as a dip or salad dressing
- Easy Greek Salad Dressing - A small batch recipe
- Lemon & Chive Dip - great with salad or tortilla chips
- Pomegranate & Lemon Salad Dressing - a fruity dressing
- Ranch Dressing - another small batch recipe
For more dressing ideas, check out these jam jar salad dressings.
📋 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter and I'll send the latest recipe straight to your inbox as soon as it is published.
Check your spam folder they don't arrive, I share a new recipe on each of my blogs every week.
⭐ Pin it for later
🥦 Living on the Veg
Once you've signed up for my newsletters and followed me on social media, why not join my Facebook group Living on the Veg?
Such a friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting. It's such a nice place to spend time.
💭 How to make corn chopped salad
Step-by-step photos. Keep scrolling for the full printable chopped salad recipe (with full ingredient list and nutritional info).
- Core your cucumber.
- Remove the stone and skin from the avocado, dice small and toss in lemon juice.
- Dice the rest of your vegetables in small cubes, you want everything to be about the same size.
- Add the peppers, onion, cucumber and avocado to a large bowl or mixing bowl.
- Add chopped fresh coriander (cilantro), although if you are one of those people that don't like it you could add fresh parsley instead.
- Add the corn, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Spoon into bowls and crumble vegan feta over the salad.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Now drizzle with the vegan ranch dressing and serve.
Tex Mex Corn Chopped Salad with Vegan Feta
- 285 g corn (drained weight) 340g/12 oz tin
- ½ red onion
- 1 red pepper
- ½ cucumber
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 handful fresh coriander (cilantro) or parsley
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 50 g vegan feta
- 1 teaspoon paprika or a generous pinch on each salad
- 6 tablespoons vegan ranch dressing see notes for recipe
- Remove the skin and stone from the avocado (I like to push the stone through from the back of the avocado, to pop it out), then dice and toss in lemon juice.
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways and scoop the wet seeds out by running a teaspoon down the middle of the cucumber, then dice. Remember you want all the salad to be diced small and about the same size.
- Dice the onion finely, then finely dice the pepper.
- Add all the veg to a large mixing bowl, then add the corn. Season with salt and pepper and add the coriander and toss to combine.
- Spoon into bowls, then crumble feta over the salad and sprinkle with paprika.
- Finish with your homemade ranch dressing (see notes for the recipe link) and serve.
- If you don't want to use coriander (cilantro) you can use parsley.
- For the most delicious dressing, make up a small batch of this vegan ranch dressing.
- This recipe will make 4 smaller salads or 3 large dinner salads. If serving for dinner add some tortilla chips for crunch.
- This recipe will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Don't add the cheese and dressing until you are ready to serve.