This delicious cheese pasta salad is perfect for vegan lunch boxes, but it's also good as a side dish or an option for picnics, BBQs, potlucks & buffets.
VEGAN CREAMY CHEESE PASTA SALAD
A quick and easy, creamy and cheesy pasta salad.
I should really call it easy cheesy!
The macaroni is coated in a creamy, cheesy sauce.
I do love pasta salad.
I don't know what it is about them. I mean we all love pasta, but why do I like cold pasta so much?
I think it may be just an excuse to eat pasta at lunchtime or maybe because I'll usually serve it with a bit of a help-yourself dinner,
My son calls it buffet. l serve a selection of pasta salad, crunchy salad sticks, olives, crusty bread, hummus, pickles and fruit and everyone can just help themselves.
WHICH PASTA SHAPE IS BEST FOR PASTA SALAD
A smaller pasta salad is better for pasta salad.
Pasta shapes like penne and rigatoni don't really work well, they are better with hot sauces.
For a good pasta salad macaron is a good option, either elbow or straight macaroni.
You could also use farfalle (bow-tie pasta), fusilli (twists), and conchiglie (pasta shells).
THE BEST WAY TO COOK PASTA FOR PASTA SALAD
It's really important you get the pasta right when making a pasta salad.
Cook it in a large pot with lots of water so it has plenty of room and according to the packet instructions, but check it a minute or two before the end of the cook time.
It should be al dente, in other words, cooked but still firm. Overcooked pasta is just nasty.
The most important part of preparing pasta when making pasta salad is the rinse.
Drain your pasta in a colander, then rinse under the cold tap until completely cold.
This rinses off all the starch and stops the cooking.
The result is glossy firm pasta and the best pasta salad.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE CREAMY CHEESE PASTA SALAD
You just need a few ingredients to make a creamy cheese pasta salad.
- elbow macaroni
- vegan cream cheese
- vegan mayo
- vegan cheddar, grated
- salt & pepper
- spring onions
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO PASTA SALAD?
Want more veg? Here are a few ideas:
- carrot - grated
- celery - finely sliced
- cucumber - half slices
- red onion - thinly sliced
- bell pepper - thinly sliced
- jalapenos - thinly sliced
MAKE IT EXTRA CHEESY
PASTA SALAD SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Vegan burger in a bun with a side salad
- Vegan hot dog
- Baked potato
- Vegetable skewers
- Slice of pizza and garlic bread
- Savoury pancakes
- Savoury tart or puff pastry pie
HOW LONG WILL CHEESE PASTA SALAD KEEP?
MORE VEGAN LUNCH RECIPES TO TRY
- Dill Potato Salad
- Easy Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- One-Pot Vegan Mac & Cheese
- Ploughman's Lunch
- Tex-Mex Cheese Crunch Wraps
- Vegan Cheese Ploughman's Sandwich
- Vegan Cheese & Red Pepper Filo Hand Pies
- Vegan Tomato Soup made with Tinned Tomatoes
WANT NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX?
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN CHEESE PASTA SALAD
Vegan Creamy Cheese Pasta Salad
- 125 g dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 5 tbsp vegan mayo
- 3 tbsp vegan cheddar grated
- pinch paprika more if you like
- pinch salt and pepper
- 2 spring onions finely sliced
- Cook the pasta in a large pot with plenty of water until al dente (firm but cooked). Check the packet instructions as a guide.
- Drain the pasta in a colander then cool under running cold water until completely cold.
- In a large bowl, mash the cream cheese to soften it, then add the mayo and grated cheese.
- Add a generous pinch of paprika and season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Pour the pasta into a large bowl and mix in the cheese sauce. Taste it to check the seasoning.
- Mix in the spring onions, then serve.
- Cheese pasta salad can be kept in the fridge for 3 days. Store in an airtight container. Give it a stir to coat the pasta evenly with the sauce before serving as the dressing can settle at the bottom of the tub.
- For the best flavour, take the pasta salad out of the fridge for 5-10 minutes to take the chill of it.