Soft and fluffy sweet potatoes baked in the air fryer in just 30 minutes. Perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
No need to put your oven on to make soft and creamy baked sweet potatoes.
Just pop them in your air fryer and they are ready to serve in half an hour.
- 🥔 Baked potatoes in the air fryer
- 💭 Which are healthier?
- 👩🏻🍳 How do you cook sweet potatoes in an air fryer?
- 💭 Tips
- ♨️ Energy-efficient cooking
- ⭐ Best type of air fryer
- 🍴 Should you eat the skin?
- ⭐ Why you'll love these sweet potatoes
- ⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
- 🥣 Sweet Potato fillings
- 🍲 Use baked sweet potatoes for other dishes
- 🌡️ Storing leftover baked sweet potatoes
- 👩🏻🍳 Reheating baked sweet potatoes
- 🧾 More vegan air fryer recipes
- 🥔 More vegan sweet potato recipes
- 📖 Recipe
🥔 Baked potatoes in the air fryer
An air fryer is perfect for baking potatoes, both standard baking potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Super easy and quicker than baking them in the oven.
They come out so soft and fluffy inside too.
Sweet potato fries are also fabulous in the air fryer, just in case you are wondering.
💭 Which are healthier?
Both standard baked potatoes and sweet potatoes are healthy options (depending on your filling of course).
However, sweet potatoes win this challenge as they are much higher in fibre and packed with vitamin A & vitamin C.
👩🏻🍳 How do you cook sweet potatoes in an air fryer?
Sweet potatoes are super easy to bake in an air fryer.
- Wash them
- Prick them with a fork or knife
- Rub the skin with olive oil
- Season with salt and pepper
- Bake in the air fryer until soft
See the full printable recipe with tips, temperature and times at the bottom of the post.
Also, try these air fryer roast potatoes from my other blog Tinned Tomatoes, no parboiling and they are flavoured with a hint of garlic.
Here are a few tips for the best baked sweet potatoes.
- Choose smooth sweet potatoes with no dark patches, avoid any with wrinkled skin
- When you've washed the potatoes, dry them well, it will help with a crispier skin.
- Prick them well, all over.
- For an even crisper skin, open the air fryer halfway through and brush the skin with oil again.
♨️ Energy-efficient cooking
An air fryer is such a must-have counter-top kitchen appliance.
- It cooks quicker than the oven
- More efficient when cooking smaller amounts of food
- Doesn't heat up the kitchen (so perfect in the summer)
- Cheaper to run, as it uses less energy to run (nearly half)
To find out how much it actually costs to run an air fryer compared to an oven, check out my guide to working out how much an air fryer costs to run (I broke the cost down in one of my other air fryer recipe posts).
⭐ Best type of air fryer
I've had both main types of air fryer, those with a drawer and those with shelves.
I have to say, I prefer an air fryer with shelves.
- You can cook a whole meal at once, with something different on each shelf.
- The shelves are a sort of woven mesh, so the air comes up through the shelves crisping up underneath as well as on top.
- It comes with a tray too.
- Pop the shelves in a dishwasher (or hand wash), then the inside just needs a quick wipe.
- Use any other baking tin or oven tray that fits, so you can also cook batches of stews and sauces or bake cakes and bread.
- Cook chips or fries on the trays, or if your brand has one, you can buy a chip basket that rotates.
I have a Tower Xpress Pro Vortx 5-in-1 Digital Air Fryer (they also do one with dials instead of a digital display) and I love it.
If you are looking for one, shop around for the best price as they can vary.
Now back to the potatoes.
🍴 Should you eat the skin?
Yes, definitely eat the skin.
As with other root vegetables like carrots and parsnips, there's lots of fibre and nutrients in and just under the skin.
So, as long as you've washed them well, leave the skin on and eat it too.
⭐ Why you'll love these sweet potatoes
They are popular with kids as well as adults as they are so sweet.
- A cheap meal
- Cooked in half an hour
- Can be cooked ahead and reheated
- Tastes delicious
⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
Have you seen the little heart in The Vegan Lunchbox this week when you look at recipes.
Hit it to let me know you like the recipe and if you hit the molecule-like symbol beside it, you can save your favourite recipes in one place or share them on Twitter or Facebook.
🥣 Sweet Potato fillings
Here are a few ideas for filling air fryer sweet potatoes
- Butter - vegan butter, salt and pepper
- Salsa - top with salsa, guacamole and vegan sour cream
- Sour cream- vegan sour cream, mixed with chives
- Spinach - wilted spinach flavoured with nutmeg and either vegan sour cream or mayo
- Whipped feta - try this recipe for vegan whipped feta with lemon and herbs
🍲 Use baked sweet potatoes for other dishes
Don't just use these baked potatoes as a dish on their own, scoop the flesh out to use in these dishes.
- Gnocchi - mix with flour and salt to make some fresh gnocchi
- Mashed potato - serve instead of regular mash
- Patties - mix with spices or herbs and flour, form into little patties and cook in a air fryer or fry
- Toastie - mix with some spices and use as a toastie filling
- Topping - use as a mashed potato topping for pies such as vegan shepherds pie
🌡️ Storing leftover baked sweet potatoes
Once cool sweet potatoes can be kept in the fridge or frozen.
Wrap in foil and store in the fridge for 3-4 days, then reheat when required.
Freeze in freezer bags for up to 3 months, then defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat.
👩🏻🍳 Reheating baked sweet potatoes
Leftover sweet potatoes can be reheated in the air fryer.
Pop back in for 10 minutes until they are warmed through.
🧾 More vegan air fryer recipes
Here are a few more easy air fryer recipes for you to try next.
- Caprese Sandwich (toasted or air fryer grilled)
- Cheese Toasties (get that vegan cheese melty with my tips)
- Easy Pepperoni (vegan of course)
- Falafel (oil-free)
- Fruit Scones
- Garlic bread
- Golden Syrup Flapjacks
- Pizza chickpeas
- Raspberry Muffins
- White Bean Falafel with Sesame Seeds
If you love potatoes and want another dish you can cook in the air fryer, try these Scottish Rumbledethumps.
Bookmark my air fryer recipe index and check back for new recipes.
Easy air fryer baked sweet potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Wash the sweet potatoes and dry them well.
- Prick all over with a fork or knife tip.
- Rub with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place in the air fryer on shelves or the basket of an air fryer, leaving a space between them.
- Bake at 200c/400f for 30-35 minutes until soft.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Choose smooth-skinned sweet potatoes, that don't have black marks on the skin.
- Choose potatoes of a similar size so they all cook at the same time.
- You can sprinkle with spices or chilli flakes once you have oiled the potatoes for more flavour in the skins.
- If you are using more than one shelf in an air fryer, rotate part way through as the top shelf cooks quicker.
- Once cool sweet potatoes can be kept in the fridge or frozen. Wrap in foil and store in the fridge for 3-4 days, then reheat when required. Freeze in freezer bags for up to 3 months, then defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat.