A delicious vegan coronation coleslaw flavoured with spices and mango chutney. Perfect as a sandwich filling, served with a baked potato or dolloped on a burger.
🥘 What is Coronation Coleslaw?
Coronation coleslaw is an Indian spiced slaw.
It's actually a spin-off from a very un-vegan recipe.
In 1953 Le Cordon Bleu London created coronation chicken for the coronation of Her Majesty The Queen (Queen Elizabeth II).
It was basically a chicken salad with a curry sauce and it soon became popular with the British public.
Of course, we never like to leave something alone, so the sauce used in the original dish was then used as a coleslaw dressing. Hey, salad is salad.
This is a vegan version of that delicious slaw that includes cabbage, carrots, and raisins in a creamy curry dressing.
It's super easy and quick to make and tastes delicious.
- 🥘 What is Coronation Coleslaw?
- 🥘 Vegan Coronation Slaw Ingredients
- 🥬 White Cabbage
- 🥕 Don't Peel those Carrots!
- 🥄 Add Raisins to Slaw
- 📖 Variations to Coronation Coleslaw
- 🍽 How to Serve Coronation Coleslaw
- 🥗 More Vegan Salad Recipes to Try
- 👩🏻🍳 Want New Recipes Delivered to your Inbox?
- 📋 Pin it for later
- ⏲️ How Long Will Coronation Coleslaw Keep?
- 🌡️ Can you Freeze Coronation Coleslaw?
- 💭 Top Tip
- 👩🏻🍳 How to Make Vegan Coronation Coleslaw
- 📖 Recipe
🥘 Vegan Coronation Slaw Ingredients
Here are the ingredients you need to make vegan coronation coleslaw.
- White cabbage
- Vegan mayo
- Mango chutney
- Ground turmeric
- Ground cumin
- Ground cinnamon
- Salt & pepper
🥬 White Cabbage
The main ingredient for coronation coleslaw as with a traditional slaw is cabbage.
For this recipe, white cabbage is the best choice.
Shred it fairly finely, but you don't need to be too precious about it.
🥕 Don't Peel those Carrots!
Grated carrot is the next main ingredient in this slaw. Just don't peel the carrots.
We are so used to peeling carrots, but so many of the nutrients are in the skin, so don't peel them before you grate them, just give them a quick wash.
Plus, it's also less work so a win-win situation.
🥄 Add Raisins to Slaw
Raisins are not often seen in coleslaw, but the sweetness works really well against the curry flavours.
I just add them straight in, but you could plump them up in some orange juice before adding them so they are softer and extra juicy.
Just leave them to soak in orange juice for a few hours before you make it or overnight.
📖 Variations to Coronation Coleslaw
You can make a few tweaks to this tasty slaw to change things up.
- Add chilli flakes for a bit of heat
- Use sultanas instead of raisins
- Why not use dried cranberries instead of raisins
- Try apricot or mango jam if you can't find mango chutney and add a teaspoon of white wine vinegar or cider vinegar to balance the flavours
- Add red cabbage for a pop of colour
- Use curry powder instead of turmeric, cumin and cinnamon
For another fabulous Indian-inspired recipe, try this vegan Bombay cheese sandwich.
🍽 How to Serve Coronation Coleslaw
Some tasty ideas for serving coronation coleslaw:
- SANDWICH - serve it on a sandwich with salad
- BAKED POTATO - serve it on a baked tattie (Scots for potato) with vegan cheddar
- BURGER - serve it on a spicy bean burger
- PIZZA - serve it with a couple of slices of pizza
- HOT DOG - serve it as a hot dog topping (also check out the best vegan hot dog toppings)
- TOASTIE or PANINI - serve with a toastie and slices of tomato
- FRIES - Serve over fries or chips (chippies) as we call them here in Scotland
- PICNIC - serve at a picnic with some vegan sausage rolls
- BBQ - have it ready to serve with burgers, hot dogs and vegetable kebabs
- LUNCHBOX - serve it in your lunchbox with onion bhaji
🥗 More Vegan Salad Recipes to Try
Here are a few more tasty vegan salad and salad dressing recipes to try:
- Balsamic Beet Slaw
- Carrot & Dill Coleslaw
- Creamy Cheese Pasta Salad
- Dill Potato Salad
- Macaroni Salad
- Mediterranean Roasted Vegetable Couscous Salad
- Summer Greek Pasta Salad
Vegan Salad Dressing
👩🏻🍳 Want New Recipes Delivered to your Inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter for lunch ideas and recipes straight to your inbox when they are published.
Also, sign up for my Tinned Tomatoes newsletter for a selection of recipes delivered to your inbox each week or sign up for my email updates and don't miss out on the latest recipe. Check your spam folder they don't arrive.
📋 Pin it for later
Then join my Facebook group Living on the Veg. It's a very friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting.
⏲️ How Long Will Coronation Coleslaw Keep?
Homemade coronation coleslaw will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Store it in an airtight container.
The flavour will develop and improve as the week goes on.
🌡️ Can you Freeze Coronation Coleslaw?
You can freeze vinegar-based coleslaws, but mayo-based coleslaws tend to go a bit odd and the dressing breaks up when it is defrosted.
I would not recommend freezing it.
💭 Top Tip
If you want to prepare ahead or if you want smaller portions of coleslaw, here's what to do.
Follow the recipe for the veg and prepare the cabbage, carrots and raisins. Don't add any of the other ingredients.
Give it a good mix, then freeze in smaller portions.
You can take out a small portion and defrost in the fridge.
Add some mayo, mango chutney and spices.
If you love this recipe, why not make up a batch of the spice mix and keep it in an empty herb or spice jar, then it's ready whenever you are?
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Vegan Coronation Coleslaw
Here are step-by-step photos of the vegan Coronation Coleslaw being made.
Add shredded cabbage, grated carrots, raisins and mayo to a large mixing bowl.
Now add the mango chutney and spices and season with salt and pepper.
Mix well then taste to check the seasoning.
RECIPE - Vegan Coronation Coleslaw
- 285 g 10 oz or about ⅓ medium white cabbage, shredded
- 2 medium carrots grated
- 5 tbsp raisins
- 8 tbsp vegan mayo
- 3 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- salt and pepper
- Add the shredded white cabbage, carrot & raisins to a large mixing bowl.
- Now add the mayo, mango chutney and spices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix well and taste to check the seasoning.
- If you can't find mango chutney use apricot or mango jam and add a teaspoon of white wine vinegar or cider vinegar to balance the flavours
- Homemade coronation coleslaw will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Store it in an airtight container. The flavour will develop and improve as the week goes on.
- Do not freeze. Mayo-based coleslaw does not freeze well and separate when it defrosts, it can also get a bit watery.