If you like fudgy chocolate brownies, you'll love these vegan Easter brownies with Mini Eggs. Easy Easter treats that taste awesome.
Chocolate brownies should be fudgy and dense and never cakey.
These vegan Easter brownies with Mini Eggs are the perfect Easter treat and boy are they rich and dense and fudgy,
Just how they should be.
And even better they are super easy to make and they're vegan!
- 🐇 Easter brownies
- 🍬 Vegan mini eggs
- 💭 So how do you replace the eggs?
- 💭 How do you make flax eggs?
- 💭 Can flax eggs be used in all vegan bakes?
- 🥣 Coloured icing
- ⭐ What's the best food colouring?
- 👩🏻🍳 What you need to make vegan Easter brownies
- 📋 What can I use instead of mini eggs?
- More vegan bakes & no-bakes for Easter
- 📋 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
- ⭐ Pin it for later
- 🥦 Living on the Veg
- 💭 How to make vegan Easter brownies with mini eggs
- 📖 Recipe
🐇 Easter brownies
These fudgy brownies are perfect for an Easter treat.
Made in a square brownie pan and topped with a drizzle of pretty Easter coloured icing and vegan mini eggs.
🍬 Vegan mini eggs
Yes, you can now buy vegan mini eggs! Whoopee!
The ones I bought are from a company called Doisy and Dam but there are other brands out there.
Good for munching as a snack, or for topping easter cakes.
Try adding them to vegan chocolate muffins, by chopping them roughly and adding them to the batter or decorating these vegan white chocolate and raspberry muffins or even add them to Easter chocolate tiffin.
💭 So how do you replace the eggs?
Chocolate brownies are usually made with hens eggs, so how do you replace them?
There are a variety of egg replacements you can use when making vegan brownies.
I like to use flax eggs, which are super easy to make.
You can also use vegan greek youghurt or even mashed sweet potato.
Avoid using aquafaba, banana, chia seed eggs or mashed avocados. They can work in other bakes, but they are not so good in brownies.
💭 How do you make flax eggs?
Flax eggs are super easy to make and I will let you into a little secret.
Save money by making them with linseeds.
They are the same as flax seeds but much cheaper. Flax seed is just a trendy name for linseeds adopted by the clean eating brigade.
One flax egg replaces one hen's egg in a recipe.
To make flax eggs, grind the linseeds or flaxseeds in a food processor, a blender or a coffee/spice grinder.
In a bowl add 3 tablespoons of water to one tablespoon of ground flax meal.
Now pop it in the fridge for half an hour and go do something else. it will get all gloopy.
The perfect egg replacement.
💭 Can flax eggs be used in all vegan bakes?
Flax eggs are better in richer bakes like gingerbread, fruit cake or brownies.
It doesn't work as well in lighter bakes like a sponge, fairy cake or muffin.
🥣 Coloured icing
The coloured icing drizzled across these luscious brownies is just made with icing sugar (confectioner's sugar), a little water and some colouring.
The secret to good icing is not to add too much water.
You might think you've not added enough but keep working with it and you will find you don't have to add more.
If you do add too much water, the icing will be runny and won't hold the colour. So you will need to add more icing sugar.
⭐ What's the best food colouring?
Gel colours are the best to use.
You only need to use a little for intense colour.
But more importantly, are they suitable for vegans?
Unfortunately, many are not suitable so you do need to check the label.
👩🏻🍳 What you need to make vegan Easter brownies
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this easy Easter traybake.
- Dark chocolate
- Vegan butter - or dairy-free spread
- Flax seeds - linseeds
- Vanilla extract - not essence
- Demerara sugar - or brown sugar
- Plain flour - also known as all-purpose flour
- Icing sugar - confectioner's sugar
- Gel food colouring - optional
- Vegan mini eggs - optional
📋 What can I use instead of mini eggs?
If you can't get hold of vegan mini eggs, here are a few other ideas for decorating these fudgy brownies.
- Jelly tots
- Pick & mix - vegan of course
- Percy pigs - from M&S
- Mini Marshmallows - Freedom marshmallows are vegan
More vegan bakes & no-bakes for Easter
Here are a few more ideas for Easter.
- Easter White Chocolate & Raspberry Cupcakes
- Easy Vegan Lemon Muffins
- Biscoff & Chocolate Pastry Swirls
- Easy Biscoff Tiffin
- Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Mini Egg Fudge
- Quick Vegan Iced Buns
📋 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter and I'll send the latest recipe straight to your inbox as soon as it is published.
Check your spam folder they don't arrive, I share a new recipe on each of my blogs every week.
⭐ Pin it for later
🥦 Living on the Veg
Once you've signed up for my newsletters and followed me on social media, why not join my Facebook group Living on the Veg?
Such a friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting. It's such a nice place to spend time.
💭 How to make vegan Easter brownies with mini eggs
Step-by-step photos. Keep scrolling for the full printable traybake brownies recipe (with full ingredient list and nutritional info).
- Make flax eggs and pop them in the fridge (see full recipe below for notes).
- Preheat the oven and line a brownie tin.
- Add chocolate and vegan butter to a bowl and melt in the microwave or in a bain marie (bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn't touch the water).
- Add demerara sugar to a mixing bowl, then add the flax eggs and whisk with a fork.
- Pour in the chocolate mix and vanilla.
- Mix and then pour in the flour and salt, then fold in.
- Pour the brownie batter into the lined tin and bake.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the brownie tin.
- Add the icing sugar to a bowl, add a little water and mix in, until you have a thick icing, then add some colouring and mix again.
- If you are using more than one colour icing, do the same for another colour.
- Once the brownies are cool it's time to decorate.
- Choose your vegan sweeties to add as a decoration.
- Drizzle the icing on with a teaspoon, then add the sweeties. Press them into the brownies a little to hold them in place.
- Cut your brownies into 16 squares or more if you want smaller pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
Vegan Easter Brownies with Mini Eggs
- 200 g dark chocolate broken into chunks
- 200 g vegan butter or dairy-free spread
- 3 tablespoons flaxseeds or linseeds mixed with 9 tablespoons of water to make 3 flax eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 g demerara sugar or brown sugar
- 100 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 150 g icing sugar also called confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoons water you might need less
- 22 vegan mini eggs you can use more or less
- First make your flax eggs. Grind up flax seeds or linseeds in a food processor or blender. Add the flax meal to a bowl, then add the water. Stir and pop in the fridge to thicken for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160c fan/350f/gas mark 4 and line your bownie pan.
- Add the chocolate and butter to a bowl and melt in the microwave or in a bain marie (bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl doesn't touch the water).
- Add the sugar to a mixing bowl, then add the vanilla extract and flax eggs once they have thickened and whisk with a fork.
- Pour in the melted chocolate and stir in.
- Add the flour and salt, then fold in until just combined. Pour the brownie batter into the lined brownie tin and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin.
- While it's cooling make the icing. Add the icing sugar to a bowl and add the water a little at a time, you probably don't need it all.
- Once you have a thick icing, divide into two bowls and add a different colour gel to each (a few drops) and mix.
- Test the icing on kitchen paper. Drizzle a little. If it''s too loose, add some more icing sugar. Once it's just right drizzle over the brownies.
- Add the mini eggs, pushing in slightly.
- Cut into 16 squares (or more) and serve.
- When lining the brownie tin, leave some extra baking paper over the edge to help when removing it.
- Leave it to cool in the pan completely before adding the icing and decorations.
- If you can't find vegan mini eggs, you could decorate with skittles, jelly tots, Percy pigs or mini vegan marshmallows.
- If you leave the brownies in the fridge over the night, they will become extra fudgy.