An easy vegan sweet potato and butternut squash soup with carrots. Serve with a splash of cream or coconut milk for a bit of luxury.
We're entering Autumn so it's time to get the soup pot out again.
Soup is such a healthy and comforting meal and this vegan sweet potato and butternut squash soup with carrots is also absolutely delicious.
- 🍵 Why make soup?
- 📋 What you need to make this delicious sweet potato soup
- 🍲 Chunky or smooth soup?
- 🥛 Adding coconut milk to soup
- 💭 Low-calorie soup
- ⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
- 🥣 Spiced butternut squash soup and sweet potato soup
- 🍞 What to serve with this vegan sweet potato and butternut squash soup
- 💭 FAQ
- 🌡️ Storing soup
- 👩🏻🍳 Vegan sweet potato & butternut squash recipes for you to try
- 📖 Recipe
🍵 Why make soup?
Soup is one of the best things you can make at home. If you make nothing else, you should make homemade soup.
10 reasons why homemade soup is so good
- Packed with vegetables
- It's healthy
- Low calorie
- Low fat
- Full of vitamins and minerals
- Easy to make
- Cheap to make
- Great for using leftover veg
That list could keep going, but I think you get my point.
I love homemade soup!
📋 What you need to make this delicious sweet potato soup
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this healthy soup.
- Olive oil
- Sweet potato
- Butternut squash
- Oregano - dried
- Fresh coriander (cilantro) - if you don't like coriander, you could add some parsley or basil
- Vegetable stock
- Salt & pepper - to season
- Cream (vegan) or coconut milk - just a splash
See the full printable recipe card for full quantities, method and calories.
🍲 Chunky or smooth soup?
This easy butternut squash and sweet potato soup is more of a broth with vegetables.
Everybody has their preference when it comes to soup.
Some like soup chunky and some like soup smooth.
Do try serving it like a broth, so you can experience it as I like to serve it.
If it's really not for you, blend the soup in a food processor or blender, or use a stick blender.
- Adding cream
If you do decide to blend the soup, don't add the cream (or coconut milk) or the fresh herbs.
The soup will keep longer if you don't add the cream, so best to just add a little as you serve it.
- Adding fresh herbs
Adding fresh herbs when blending a soup is to be avoided.
If it's a beautiful orange or yellow soup, don't blend in the herbs or you will lose that gorgeous rich colour, which will suddenly become a bit swampy looking.
🥛 Adding coconut milk to soup
When I made this sweet potato and butternut squash this time, I added a splash of vegan cream, but it's gorgeous with coconut milk too.
The trouble with adding coconut milk, is you never need the whole can, so here are my tips.
They will save waste and save you money.
Budget-friendly, waste-less tips
Here are a few ideas.
- Freeze - Give the coconut cream and water a good mix to combine then pour into an ice cube tray and freeze.
- You can add a frozen cube of coconut milk to the soup as it is cooking.
- Powder - Buy some coconut milk powder. It lasts for a very long time and costs less in the long run. Spoon some into a bowl and add some water to turn it into a cream, then you can add to recipes.
- Dahl - My favourite tip is to add what you need to your soup, then use the rest to make this delicious 20-minute spinach dahl.
💭 Low-calorie soup
This quick sweet potato and butternut squash soup is very low calorie, even if you add a teaspoon of vegan cream to each bowl when you serve it.
It's perfect if you're trying to lose weight or following the 5:2 diet and looking for low-calorie recipes.
Only 114 calories per serving.
⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
Have you seen the little heart in The Vegan Lunchbox ?
Hit it to like the recipe.
Or hit the molecule-like symbol beside it, to save your favourite recipes or share them.
🥣 Spiced butternut squash soup and sweet potato soup
Like a bit of spice?
Why not spice up this soup?
Add some chilli flakes or chilli powder to this soup.
You could also add some cumin instead of oregano for warmth.
🍞 What to serve with this vegan sweet potato and butternut squash soup
Here are a few serving ideas.
- Cheese Toastie - try this air fryer vegan cheese toastie (with oozy cheese tips)
- Brown bread - buttered of course, for dunking
- Sourdough - toasted and rubbed with a garlic clove
- Bloomers bread (or a continental bread) - with a good crust
- Garlic Bread - try this gorgeous and quick air fryer garlic bread, lovely stuff
- Chickpea Farinata (Socca) - an easy and quick flatbread made with chickpea flour
- Beer Bread - no-knead and so easy, try this pesto and garlic beer bread
Is sweet potato soup healthy?
Sweet potato soup is full of vitamins and minerals, so it's always a healthy option as long as there isn't too much cream added.
Should you cool soup before blending?
Take soup off the heat and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before blending with a stick blender.
When blending be careful not to lift the blender above the soup as you could be splashed with hot soup.
Why you shouldn't put hot soup in a blender
Put boiling hot soup in a blender and the heat can cause it to expand as it blends and heats the jug, which can force the lid off.
This can lead to soup decorating you and your walls.
🌡️ Storing soup
Once your soup is cool, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days, if there are no fresh ingredients like cream or yoghurt (even if it's vegan).
If it includes cream, only keep for a couple of days.
To cool it quickly, remove from the pot.
You can also freeze soup for up to 3 months in freezer bags or tubs, then pop in the fridge overnight to defrost before reheating.
👩🏻🍳 Vegan sweet potato & butternut squash recipes for you to try
Here are a few recipes for you to try next.
Vegan sweet potato recipes
Vegan butternut squash recipes
- Creamy Butternut Squash & Tomato Soup
- Squash, Leek & Sausage Pie
- Butternut, Red Pepper & Potato Pastry Plait
Vegan Sweet Potato & Butternut Squash Soup with Carrots
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed or grated)
- ½ medium butternut squash (cubed)
- 1 large sweet potato (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (grated)
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ litres vegetable stock
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 handful fresh coriander (cilantro) (to serve, optional)
- 6 teaspoons vegan cream (or coconut milk) (to serve, optional)
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion and garlic gently in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the butternut squash, sweet potato and carrot and cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the herbs and stock and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for another 20-25 minutes until the veg is soft
- Season with salt and pepper and add the fresh herbs just before serving,
- When serving, add a swirl of cream or coconut milk (optional).
- If you don't like coriander (cilantro), you could add fresh basil or parsley.
- You can blend the soup but it is nice as a broth.
- Soup always taste better day two, so if you have time, make it ahead.
- Just add the cream or coconut milk as you serve and it will last longer in the fridge. Storing soup
Once your soup is cool, you can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for 4-5 days, if there are no fresh ingredients like cream or yogurt (even if it's vegan).
- If it includes cream, only keep for a couple of days
- You can also freeze soup for up to 3 months in freezer bags or tubs, then pop in the fridge overnight to defrost before reheating.