A cheats recipe for quick vegan iced buns. These delicious cream cakes are often served for a British Afternoon tea.
Did I get your attention?
Looks gorgeous, doesn't it?
This is a cheats vegan iced bun recipe for the days when you want a treat but you don't have time to bake it from scratch.
Or maybe visitors are about to arrive and you don't have anything to serve them with a cuppa.
- 💭 Are iced buns vegan?
- ☕ What is afternoon tea?
- 🐇 Vegan Easter treats
- 🍓 What flavour of jam is used in iced buns?
- 🥛 Is vegan double cream any good?
- 💭 But does vegan cream whip well?
- 💭 Are sprinkles essential to an iced bun?
- 📋 What you need to make cheat's vegan iced buns
- ⭐ UPDATE (26 February 2022)
- 🍌 Fun Variations
- 🧁 More vegan bakes and cakes to try
- 📋 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
- ⭐ Pin it for later
- 🥦 Living on the Veg
- 💭 How to make quick vegan iced buns
- 📖 Recipe
💭 Are iced buns vegan?
Not usually no as they buns themselves and the cream are full of dairy and eggs.
These quick iced buns are totally vegan and easy to make at home with no baking.
☕ What is afternoon tea?
Afternoon tea is a very British affair.
In the afternoon, tea or coffee is served in fine china with a tiered cake stand filled with miniature sandwiches, individual cakes like these iced buns and scones with either butter and jam or cream and jam.
It's served in cafes, restaurants and hotels.
And of course, you can get a vegan afternoon tea too now.
Here are a few things you might find in an afternoon tea. The sandwiches are usually cut into four small squares or triangles of sandwiches. Bite-sized.
- Cucumber Sandwiches
- Cheese Savoury Sandwiches
- Cheese & Onion Sandwiches
- Egg Mayo Sandwiches
- Fruit Scones
- Iced Buns
- Stawberry Tarts
- Chocolate Truffles
Afternoon tea can also be boozy too with a glass or two of Champagne or Prosecco. *hic*
🐇 Vegan Easter treats
These buns would be perfect to serve on Easter Sunday.
Bake a few easy treats to serve to guests or just as a treat.
🍓 What flavour of jam is used in iced buns?
Usually, raspberry jam is the flavour of choice for iced buns.
You could use homemade or shop-bought raspberry jam.
If you want to have a go at making it at home yourself, try my Scottish Raspberry Jam, which is super easy to make.
Of course, you could use any flavour of jam in this vegan iced buns recipe.
I used strawberry jam or strawberry conserve to be precise and it was gorgeous!
🥛 Is vegan double cream any good?
Vegan double cream is a relatively new thing, well one that whips anyway.
I've been using Elmlea Double Plant Cream. which I really like.
It has a good vanilla flavour and you can use it in lots of dishes.
You can find it in the chilled vegan aisle in the supermarket.
💭 But does vegan cream whip well?
Vegan double cream whips really well.
It whips to a thick texture, not a stiff whip, but a softer whip.
It does hold its shape, but isn't as thick as a dairy double cream might be when whipped.
Glorious stuff and perfect to add to cakes and desserts.
💭 Are sprinkles essential to an iced bun?
Sprinkles add a pop of colour and make everything so joyful and fun.
They aren't always traditionally added, but I recommend them as they will raise a smile.
📋 What you need to make cheat's vegan iced buns
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this easy vegan iced bun.
- Brioche buns - vegan brioche buns or vegan brioche finger rolls, I bought the buns from Aldi where they call them vegan brioche burger buns.
- Icing sugar - also called confectioner's sugar
- Vanilla extract - not essence, it's not very nice.
- Sprinkles - any colour you like
- Vegan double cream - I used Elmlea Plant Double Cream
- Strawberry jam - or raspberry jam, shop bought or homemade
The full ingredient list can be found at the bottom of this post in the printable recipe card.
⭐ UPDATE (26 February 2022)
Is icing sugar and confectioner's sugar suitable for vegans?
After seeing a comment from a reader, I decided I should investigate confectioner's sugar.
I knew confectioner's sugar is what icing sugar or powdered sugar is called in the US, but didn't realise it might not be suitable for vegans.
Here in the UK, all icing sugar is suitable for vegans, but it seems in the US the sugar goes through a process where it is filtered through bone.
Do check the labels!
An organic company is more likely to sell a vegan-friendly confectioners (icing) sugar, but it is not a given.
👩🏻🍳 Make your own confectioner's sugar
It is possible to make your own powdered sugar (confectioner's sugar) at home.
🍰 How long will vegan iced buns keep?
These delicious but simple iced buns are best made and served on the day you are serving them.
You can ice the buns and whip up the cream ahead, then keep them in the fridge separately to assemble when you are ready to serve.
🍌 Fun Variations
Here are a few fun tweaks you can make to these easy vegan iced buns.
- Colour - Add some colour to the icing to make the iced tops pale pink or yellow.
- Chocolate - Add cocoa to either or both the icing and the double cream when whipping it.
- Banana - If you are making the cream chocolate flavoured why not spread them with peanut butter instead of jam and add slices of banana.
- Caramel - Add vegan coconut caramel instead of jam.
- Strawberries - Add slices of fresh strawberries to the filled buns.
🧁 More vegan bakes and cakes to try
Here are a few more easy vegan bakes and cakes for you to try after you have made these delicious vegan finger buns.
- Biscoff & Chocolate Pastry Swirls
- Blueberry Ginger Muffins
- Chocolate Muffins
- Coconut Ice
- Easter Raspberry & White Chocolate Muffins
- Easy Vegan Lemon Muffins
- Hazelnut & Raisin Cookies
- Vegan Snickers Bars
📋 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter and I'll send the latest recipe straight to your inbox as soon as it is published.
Check your spam folder they don't arrive, I share a new recipe on each of my blogs every week.
⭐ Pin it for later
🥦 Living on the Veg
Once you've signed up for my newsletters and followed me on social media, why not join my Facebook group Living on the Veg?
Such a friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting. It's such a nice place to spend time.
💭 How to make quick vegan iced buns
Step-by-step photos. Keep scrolling for the full printable iced buns recipe (with full ingredient list and nutritional info).
- First, make up the icing with water and vanilla extract. You want a really thick, but smooth icing.
- Now slice the buns, if they are not already pre-sliced
- Spread the icing over the top of all four buns. It might drip a little down the sides, but that is ok and adds to the appeal.
- Add sprinkles.
- Set aside for the icing to set.
- Now add icing sugar (confectioner's sugar) and vegan double cream to a mixing bowl.
- Whip the cream with a hand or electric whisk until it is as thick as it will get. The icing sugar will help a little, but it will still take a few miniutes.
- Spread the bottom half of each bun with a generous layer of jam, then top with a generous dollop of cream.
- Add the iced top of the bun and serve.
Quick Vegan Iced Buns
- 4 Vegan brioche buns or finger rolls
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 1 ½ teaspoons water a little more if you need it, but not much, you want it thick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon sprinkles
- 125 ml vegan double cream
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
- First make your icing. Mix the icing sugar with the water and vanilla extract. You want a thick, but smooth icing. Thicker than you probably think it should be.
- Cut the brioche buns in half if they aren't already pre-sliced, then spread the top of each with icing and top with some sprinkles. Don't worry if it drips down the side, it looks great with dips. Leave it to set.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar until thick. This may take a few minutes. Only take the cream out of the fridge when you are ready to whisk it. You want it to be cold.
- Spread the bottom half of each bun with a generous layer of jam then a good dollop of cream and replace the iced lid.
- Serve with napkins and enjoy!