A white bean sandwich filler paired with tomatoes in this tasty vegan combo with a tangy sauce.
VEGAN ITALIAN WHITE BEAN & TOMATO SANDWICH
I love trying out new, tasty sandwiches and this vegan white bean and tomato sandwich is a real keeper.
I started by making a white bean sandwich filler and paired it with Italian flavours for the perfect summer sandwich.
Well, I say Italian flavours but I looked to India for the tangy sauce.
The homemade sandwich filler that's the star of this sandwich is made with white beans.
The white beans I use are cannellini beans.
I use tinned cannellini beans for convenience and because they are such good quality, but if you like to soak your beans overnight, go ahead and do that.
Cannellini beans are kidney-shaped beans, a bit like a white kidney bean.
They originate from Italy and have a creamy almost nutty flavour.
For a sandwich with the flavours of Italy, I had to use Italian herbs.
I used fresh parsley and dried oregano in the white bean sandwich spread.
If you don't have fresh parsley, you could use dried, but fresh is always better.
You could also add some fresh parsley on top of the tomato layer, which would work well too.
The white bean sandwich filler has garlic in it for flavour, but how do you prepare your garlic?
I used to chop it finely with a chef's knife.
Before that, I would use a garlic press, but they are always a pain to clean. That garlic always gets stuck in the corners.
I also tried a garlic plate, one of those ceramic saucers with little nobbly bits, which you rub the garlic on. It's actually really good, but I managed to smash mine.
My current favourite way to prep garlic is with a fine Microplane grater. It's super quick and easy and a breeze to clean too.
Any fine grater would work well, even one of those little nutmeg graters.
Try it, you'll see how good it is.
WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE A VEGAN ITALIAN WHITE BEAN SANDWICH FILLER
You don't need any fancy ingredients to make this sandwich filling or the final sandwich.
- cannellini beans
- fresh parsley
- dried oregano
- chilli flakes
- olive oil
HOW TO VARY THE WHITE BEAN SANDWICH FILLER
- Add turmeric, cumin and chilli powder for a spicy sandwich filling
- Add kidney beans for more colour
- Add some lemon zest and juice
- Add sweetcorn for the sweetness and colour
- Add sundried tomatoes and use some of the oil from the jar instead of olive oil
VARY THAT BREAD
- Toasted sourdough
- Pitta bread
- Flour tortilla
- Toasted wrap (crunch wrap)
- Crusty baguette
- Toasted burger bun
- Toasted hot dog roll
- Toasted sesame bagel
WHAT TO SERVE WITH YOUR SANDWICH
WANT NEW RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX?
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN ITALIAN WHITE BEAN & TOMATO SANDWICH
Vegan Italian White Bean & Tomato Sandwich
- 246 g cooked cannellini beans drained, 400g / 14 oz can before they are drained
- 1 clove garlic crushed or grated
- handful fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch chilli flakes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- pinch salt and pepper
- 4 slices seeded wholemeal bread
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- handful fresh spinach
- ¼ cucumber sliced
- 3 sundried tomatoes chopped
- 2 ripe tomatoes sliced
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- First, make the white bean pate. Add the beans and garlic to a bowl, then add the herbs, oil, chilli, salt and pepper and mash, leaving some whole beans for texture. You can add extra chilli for more kick.
- Spread two slices of bread with mayo and top with spinach and cucumber slices.
- Now add a generous layer of the bean pate (there's enough for 2 sandwiches), top with sundried tomatoes and slices of tomato.
- Spread the second 2 slices of bread with mango chutney and top each stacked sandwich.
- Cut in half and serve.
- For the best flavour, make the sandwich spread the night before.
- The sandwich spread can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Take it out the fridge a few minutes before you intend to make the sandwich so it warms a little. The fridge chill dulls the flavour.