This delicious vegan Reuben Sandwich is toasted and includes a drizzle of Vegan Russian Dressing.
I've been trying out lots of new sandwiches on my husband and he's enjoyed them all so far, but this vegan Reuben sandwich is his favourite.
This toasted sandwich is a vegan version of the classic American sandwich that originally contains beef, which I substituted with beets for their earthy flavour.
I also made a vegan version of the Russian Dressing, which is rather moreish.
You'll know what I mean once you try it.
This delicious sandwich has just a few ingredients, but when done right this sandwich is something rather special.
- Tiger Bread - the original sandwich uses rye, but I tend to use tiger bread or wholemeal as I prefer those toasted. Try my Basic Wholemeal Bread or my Light Rye Bloomer Bread.
- Vegan Mayo - I like Hellman's Vegan Mayo, but use your favourite
- Pickled Cabbage - the original sandwich uses sauerkraut, but I like pickled cabbage
- Vegan Cheddar - we like Violife vegan cheddar slices, but use your favourite
- Beetroot - I use either cooked beetroot or pickled beets, you can use either
- Russian Dressing - this is gorgeous stuff, try my easy vegan Russian dressing
- Black Pepper - I like to season the cheese layer with black pepper
See recipe card below for quantities.
Here are step-by-step photos of the vegan Reuben sandwich being made.
- Toast the bread, then spread both slices with vegan mayo.
- Now start to build the sandwich. Add pickled cabbage (or sauerkraut), then a couple of slices of vegan cheese.
- I like to dab the pickled cabbage on kitchen paper to remove the excess vinegar.
- Season the cheddar with a good grinding of black pepper. Cheese (even vegan cheese, always benefits from black pepper).
- Melt the cheese under a grill (or broiler) until it starts to melt.
- Add slices of cooked or pickled beets.
- Now the pièce de résistance, the Vegan Russian Dressing. Add a generous drizzle.
- Topped with the other slice of toasted bread, spread with mayo, cut and half and serve.
Here are a few tweaks you can make to this recipe.
- Bread- instead of tiger bread or wholemeal bread you could use white or rye (which is the bread used in the classic sandwich.
- Toasting - you can toast the bread ahead like I did in a toaster or under a grill (broiler) or use a toastie machine or pannini press, but it does get a bit squished, so I prefer toast it before making the sandwich.
- Pickled Cabbage - you could use sauerkraut instead.
- Mayo - why not add some mustard to one slice of toasted bread instead of mayo.
- Vegan Cheese - to change things up, why not use smoked vegan cheese instead.
- Beetroot - you can added grated raw beetroot, sliced cooked beetroot or sliced pickled beets.
- Black Pepper - instead of black pepper, you could sprinkle on some chilli flakes before melting the cheese.
🥪 More Tasty Vegan Sandwiches to Try
Here are a few of my favourite vegan sandwiches for you to try:
- Falafel & Apple Salad Sandwich
- Hummus Beet Sandwich
- Spiced Chickpea & Carrot Sandwich Filling
- Vegan Cheese & Sage Sandwiches
- Vegan Cheese Ploughman's Sandwich
- Vegan Cheese Savoury Sandwich Filling
- Vegan Christmas Feast Sandwich
- Vegan Italian White Bean & Tomato Sandwich
- Vegan New York Deli Sandwich
Also check out 39 of the Best Vegan Sandwiches.
👩🏻🍳 Want New Recipes Delivered to your Inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter for lunch ideas and recipes straight to your inbox when they are published.
Also sign up for my Tinned Tomatoes newsletter for a selection of recipes delivered to your inbox each week or sign up for my email updates and don't miss out on the latest recipe. Check your spam folder they don't arrive.
📋 Pin it for later
Then join my Facebook group Living on the Veg. It's a very friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting.
💭 Serving Suggestions
Serve this toasted sandwich for lunch with some salad and a few crisps (chips) or serve it as a light dinner with potato wedges and salad or corn on the cob.
📋 RECIPE - Vegan Reuben Sandwich
- 2 slices thick white bread sourdough, bloomer or tiger, toasted
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 3-4 tbsp pickled cabbage or sauerkraut
- 3 slices vegan cheddar
- 3 pickled baby beets sliced
- 1 tbsp vegan Russian dressing see notes
- black pepper
- First, toast the bread. For a fuller, less squished toasted sandwich it is better to toast it first.
- Spread both slices with mayo.
- Top one slice with a layer of pickled cabbage (pat it with kitchen paper to remove excess vinegar).
- Now add the cheese slices and season with black pepper before grilling (broiling) until melted.
- Add slices of beetroot, then drizzle over a generous amount of vegan Russian dressing, it really makes this sandwich special.
- Top with the other slice of toasted bread, cut in half and serve.
- Try this easy Vegan Russian Dressing, it takes a couple of minutes to make and is utterly delicious.
- You can vary your bread and toast in a panini machine or toastie machine if you like, but I like to make it with ready toasted bread.
- The beetroot can be cooked and plain or pickled.
- You may use sauerkraut instead of pickled cabbage.