The most delicious lunchtime, vegan hummus beet sandwich packed with lots of salad and a tasty spread.
I'm still working away creating new lunch recipes and today's creation is a real humdinger.
My mouth is actually watering thinking about this one.
Flavourful, garlicky hummus, beetroot, salad, and a tasty Mediterranean spread fill this colourful lunchbox feast.
You must try it!
You can use shop-bought or homemade hummus to make this sandwich.
You may think I always make my own hummus, but you'd be wrong.
I always add some to my shopping basket, as it's so quick and convenient and shop-bought hummus is such good quality.
If I run out of it or I want a special flavour I will make my own.
It's actually really easy to make if you have a blender or food processor and I have to admit homemade is rather special.
Here are a few recipes if you fancy making your own hummus:
- Easy Hummus Recipe
- Kale, Coriander & Hemp Hummus
- Roasted Carrot Hummus
- Rocket Hummus
- Sundried Tomato Hummus
Pickled baby beets are my beetroot of choice for this sandwich, but you could use raw, steamed, or roasted beets.
The sweet tang of pickled beetroot. just adds to the flavour of the sandwich, and works well with the salad and hummus.
If you don't like pickled beetroot, you could use the vac-packed cooked beetroot for convenience or steam or roast fresh beetroot.
Raw beetroot works well in sandwiches too. Just grate it finely.
💭 Top tip
Using pickled beetroot?
Dab it with kitchen paper to remove any excess vinegar. You don't want a soggy sandwich.
👪 Make it child friendly
You may have a child who would eat this sandwich in all its glory.
I do not have that child.
If your child is a bit fussy like mine, then you can simplify this sandwich.
It's actually a common thing among children, they generally don't like too many ingredients in their sandwiches. It can be overwhelming.
Simple is better.
To make this child-friendly, just spread nice soft bread with hummus and top with grated carrot. It's delicious and is usually popular with children.
I wouldn't put as much carrot on it as I did (see the photo above), as it might be a bit off-putting for them, but for an adult, pile that lovely stuff on.
If your child likes cucumber and not carrot, just try hummus and cucumber. Tweak it to suit your child.
🍞 Which bread?
Using the right bread can make or break a sandwich.
Because this sandwich is full of salad and lots of flavours, I find a soft wholemeal or seeded bread works well.
I wouldn't try adding it to a baguette or other roll, It's thickly stacked and you have to be able to get your mouth over it.
A soft white bread with a good crust like a bloomer bread might be good too.
🥪 More awesome vegan sandwiches
Here are some of the best vegan sandwiches. Add some of them to your lunchbox soon.
- Cheese & Onion Sandwiches - a vegan take on this British classic
- Cheese Ploughman's Sandwich - another delicious British classic made vegan
- Cuban Sandwich with Mushrooms - a warm toasted sandwich with sauteed mushrooms, melted cheese and condiments.
- Italian White Bean & Tomato Sandwich - a tasty sandwich spread made with white beans then layered up with ripe tomatoes and a tangy dressing
- New York Deli Sandwich - love pickles and mustard, you will love this Lower East Side sandwich
- Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing - oh my, that Russian Dressing takes it over the edge
Also check out 39 0f the Best Vegan Sandwiches
👩🏻🍳 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter for lunch ideas and recipes straight to your inbox when they are published.
Also, sign up for my Tinned Tomatoes newsletter for a selection of recipes delivered to your inbox each week or sign up for my email updates and don't miss out on the latest recipe. Check your spam folder they don't arrive.
📋 Pin it for later
Once you've done that, join my Facebook group Living on the Veg. It's a very friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting.
🔪 Step-by-step photos
Step-by-step photos of the Vegan Hummus Beet Sandwich being made. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe.
- Spread one slice of bread with a thick layer of hummus.
- Top with a generous layer of grated carrot and then top with slices or pickled, steamed or roasted beetroot or grated raw beetroot.
- Slices of cucumber next, then pile it high with salad leaves.
- Spread your second slice of bread with a generous layer of pesto (homemade or shop-bought).
- Add the top slice of pesto-spread bread, cut in half and serve.
Vegan Hummus Beet Sandwich
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 3 tbsp hummus more if you like
- 1 medium carrot grated
- 3 beets sliced
- 6 slices cucumber
- 1 handful salad leaves
- tbsp pesto
- Spread a thick layer of hummus on one slice of bread and top with a generous layer of carrot hummus. Try to make it even so the other ingredients will sit nicely on top.
- Add slices of beetroot and cucumber, then top with salad leaves.
- Spread the second slice of bread with pesto and top your sandwich, then cut in half and serve.
- Wholemeal or seeded bread are great for this sandwich, but a soft white bread with a good crust like a bloomers loaf or tiger bread would be good too.
- You may use pickled or cooked and plain beetroot for this sandwich. You could even use raw beets and grate them. I love the flavour of sweet pickled beets in this sandwich.
- If you are using pickled beets, dab it with kitchen paper to remove any excess vinegar.
- You could make this sandwich the night before and keep it in the fridge.