This vegan Cuban sandwich is an enticing toasted sandwich with succulent sauteed mushrooms and melted vegan cheese.
Continuing my mission to bring you the tastiest vegan sandwiches to perk up lunchtime, I bring you my version of a toasted Cuban sandwich.
Doesn't it look good?
And it really is!
🥪 What is a Cuban sandwich?
There is some debate about where the Cuban sandwich actually came from.
Some say it was invented by the Taino tribe in Cuba, influenced by Spaniards in the area.
Others say it was created by the first US Cuban community in Tampa, but Miami claims it was created there in the Cuban capital of the US.
A Cuban sandwich (also known as Sándwich Cubano) is traditionally a toasted sandwich of ham, cheese, mustard and pickles served on soft white Cuban bread.
For this vegan version, I use the gutsy and savoury flavour and texture of mushrooms to replace the ham.
You can read more about the history of the Cuban in an article from Thrillist - The History of the Cuban Sandwich.
A few simple ingredients are all you need to make this exquisite toasted sandwich.
- White bread
- Vegan mayo
- Red onion
- Vegan cheeese
- Sliced gherkins (large dill or sweet pickle)
- American yellow mustard
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Also try this toasted Black Olive & Tomato Toastie.
Mushrooms are the star of this toasted sandwich but don't add them raw. They need a bit of love and attention first.
I used closed cup mushrooms for this delicious sandwich, but you could use large flat cap, portobello mushrooms or even chestnut mushrooms.
Any standard mushrooms will do (this is not the recipe for wild mushrooms), it's more about spending a few minutes cooking and seasoning them well.
Just season then with salt and pepper, but a pinch of paprika would be good too.
You could also try these sandwiches with Tomato & Olive Deli Slices instead of mushrooms.
🧀 Vegan cheese
This iconic sandwich also contains cheese. Vegan cheese of course.
I used Voilife vegan cheese, but you may use your favourite.
You can slice a block of cheese but I find packs of sliced vegan cheese really handy for sandwiches and toasties.
Vegan cheddar slices don't melt as well as standard cheese, but it does melt a little and softens, enough to make this sandwich a real winner.
🥪 More rocking vegan sandwiches to try
Here are some more must-have vegan sandwiches.
- Cheese & Onion Sandwiches
- Cheese Ploughman's Sandwich
- Cheese Savoury Sandwich
- Falafel & Apple Sandwich
- Hummus Beet Sandwich
- Italian White Bean & Tomato Sandwich
- New York Deli Sandwich
- Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing
- Sage & Onion Cheese Sandwiches
- Spiced Chickpea & Carrot Sandwich
All vegan and all super delicious! Bring it on!
🍴 Lunch box guides
If your kids are heading back to school and you need more kid-friendly lunch ideas, check out these lunch guides.
- 10 Vegan Lunchbox Ideas for Kids
- 45 Back to School Lunches for Kids
- Back to School Lunches for Kids
- Kid- Friendly School Lunch Plan for Vegan Kids
- Packing Lunch
👩🏻🍳 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter for lunch ideas and recipes straight to your inbox when they are published.
Also, sign up for my Tinned Tomatoes newsletter for a selection of recipes delivered to your inbox each week or sign up for my email updates and don't miss out on the latest recipe. Check your spam folder they don't arrive.
📋 Pin it for later
Once you've done that, join my Facebook group Living on the Veg. It's a very friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting.
🔪 Step-by-step photos
Step-by-step photos of the Vegan Cuban Sandwich with Mushrooms being made. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe.
- Sautee your mushrooms in olive oil and seasn well with salt and pepper.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, toast (broil) your bread, then spread one slice with vegan mayo.
- Add thinly sliced red onion, then top with the cooked mushrooms and slices of vegan cheese and season.
- Melt the vegan cheese under a grill (broiler) until melted, then top with large slices of gherkin (dill or sweet pickle).
- Spread the last slice of toasted bread with a generous layer of American yellow mustard and top the sandwich.
- Slice in half and serve with salad while still warm.
Vegan Cuban Sandwich with Mushrooms
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 mushrooms closed cup
- 2 slices white bread
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 3 slices red onion
- 2 slices vegan cheddar
- 3 slices gherkin
- 2 tsp American yellow mustard
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Saute the mushrooms in the olive oil until soft. Season well with salt and pepper.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, toast (broil) the bread.
- Spread one slice of toasted bread with mayo and top with slices of red onion, then a layer of cooked mushrooms.
- Top with slices of vegan cheddar and season with black pepper. Melt the cheese under a grill (broiler)
- Top with sliced gherkin.
- Spread the second slice of toasted bread with mustard, top the sandwich and cut in half.
- Serve while warm and enjoy!
- I used closed cup mushrooms for this delicious sandwich, but you could use large flat cap or portobello mushrooms or even chestnut mushrooms.
- A pinch of paprika or chill powder added to the mushrooms while they cook gives a nice little bit of heat.
- This sandwich is best eaten warm while the cheese is soft and melted, but is still pretty good when cold.