Boss your lunch with this crisp and crunchy black olive and tomato toastie. Easy to make with big flavours. It's so tasty!
A well-layered toastie makes a nice change from your regular sandwich at lunchtime and has a lovely bit of crunch.
This delicious toasted sandwich pairs the flavours or ripe red tomatoes with the salty umami flavour of black olives.
Such a delicious combo.
I hope you try it.
- 📋 Ingredients
- 🍞 Which bread makes the best toastie?
- 🍞 Do I need a toastie machine to make a toastie?
- 💭 What's the garlic for?
- 🍅 Ripening tomatoes tip
- 🥄 Black olive tapenade
- 🥪 More vegan sandwiches to try
- 👩🏻🍳 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
- 📋 Pin it for later
- 🥦 Living on the Veg
- 👩🏻🍳 How to Make Black Olive & Tomato Toastie
- 📖 Recipe
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this rather fabulous black olive and tomato toastie.
- Wholemeal Bread
- Salad Leaves
- Ripe Tomatoes
- Vegan Mayo
- Salt & Pepper
- Black Olive Tapenade
Also, try sprinkling some easy homemade pizza seasoning over the filling. It's gorgeous stuff.
See recipe card for quantities.
🍞 Which bread makes the best toastie?
Before deciding on which bread to use to make a toastie, decide which qualities you are looking for.
CRISP, BUT SOFT AND COMFORTING - A basic white bread is the one to choose. Think of a toastie filled with baked beans and cheese.
A NUTTY, SAVOURY FLAVOUR - Try sliced wholemeal bread.
A LUXURY CHEESE TOASTIE - Sourdough bread is the way to go. If you can't find a decent sourdough loaf, try something like a tiger loaf or a bloomer's bread.
🍞 Do I need a toastie machine to make a toastie?
You can make a toastie by making a sandwich, with freshly toasted bread.
Alternatively, you can fry it in a pan with some melted vegan butter.
If you have a toastie machine, panini machine or even an electric grill like a George Forman grill, you can use that too.
You can also make the most amazing crisp toasties in an air fryer. They are so good.
If you have an air fryer try my Vegan Air Fryer Cheese Toasties.
For this sandwich, toasted (broiled) bread will be fine.
💭 What's the garlic for?
Now don't panic when you see I have added garlic into the ingredient list. I am not suggesting you chop up raw garlic to add to this toastie.
Once the bread has been toasted, a peeled clove of garlic is rubbed gently over the toast.
This will imbue a lovely garlic flavour to the toast before adding the other ingredients.
It's not overpowering, but you can taste it.
🍅 Ripening tomatoes tip
Unless you are picking ripe tomatoes from your garden or allotment, you may find they are under-ripe and a bit tasteless.
Here is my little tip. It will help to ripen your tomatoes and makes sure they have as much flavour as possible.
Never keep tomatoes in the fridge. If you do they will be tasteless.
The only exception to this is small cherry or plum tomatoes, as baby tomatoes go off too quickly if not stored in the fridge.
Keep your large salad tomatoes or beef tomatoes in a bowl on the windowsill.
They will deepen in colour and ripen.
They are ready to eat and don't have that chill from the fridge which also masks the flavour.
🥄 Black olive tapenade
The black olives in this toasted sandwich are actually in the form of a tapenade.
It's super easy to make in a food processor or blender and is made in a couple of minutes.
I make it quite coarse, but you can blend it longer until it is a more smooth paste.
The black olive tapenade will is a small batch and can be kept in the fridge in an airtight container for 7-10 days.
You can of course buy ready-made tapenade, but you have to be careful as most tapenade is made with anchovies (fish) and not suitable for vegans.
🥪 More vegan sandwiches to try
Here are a few more vegan sandwiches and toasted sandwiches to try:
- Cuban Sandwich with Mushrooms (toasted)
- Grilled Cheese Toastie
- Grilled Hummus Toastie
- Haggis & Onion Chutney Toastie
- Potato & Beet Toastie
- Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing (toasted)
- Cheese & Onion Sandwiches
- Hummus Beet Sandwich
- New York Deli Sandwich
- Spicy Onion Bhaji Sandwich with Curried Slaw
- Vegan Egg Mayo Sandwiches
👩🏻🍳 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter and I'll send the latest recipe straight to your inbox as soon as it is published.
Check your spam folder they don't arrive, I share a new recipe on each of my blogs every week.
📋 Pin it for later
🥦 Living on the Veg
Once you've signed up for my newsletters and followed me on social media, why not join my Facebook group Living on the Veg?
It's a very friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting. It's such a nice place to spend time.
👩🏻🍳 How to Make Black Olive & Tomato Toastie
Step-by-step photos of these black olive and tomato toasties being made. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe.
- Toast your bread then rub each slice with garlic.
- Top with a generous layer of black olive tapenade, then a layer of salad leaves.
- Top with slices of ripe tomato, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the second slice of toast with vegan mayo, top your sandwich and cut in half.
- Serve and enjoy!
Black Olive & Tomato Toastie
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive tapenade recipe in notes
- salad leaves
- 1 large tomato sliced
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegan mayo
- Toast (broil) your bread, then rub each slice gently with the clove of garlic.
- Top one slice with a thick layer of olive tapenade (link in notes).
- Top with salad leaves, then slices of tomato.
- Season the tomato with salt and pepper.
- Spread the other slice with vegan mayo, top your sandwich, cut and serve while warm.
- You may use another type of bread.
- Try to use ripe tomatoes
- You may use shop-bought tapenade, but be careful, it usually contains fish (anchovies).
- Here is an easy recipe for black olive tapenade