A spicy onion bhaji sandwich, made with quick homemade coleslaw that's utterly delicious.
You are going to love this onion bhaji sandwich.
It's a substantial affair, that will really perk up your lunch.
Heck, you could even serve it for dinner with some salad and a handful of crips (chips) on the side.
It's soft and spicy with a layer of creamy, delicious coronation coleslaw, peppery salad leaves and a tangy dressing.
Oh my, I am drooling just thinking of this sarnie.
💭 What are onion bhajis
Onion bhajis are a popular snack in India and here in the UK.
Onion Bhajis are a type of fried onion fritter that is popular street food and popular in homes in India.
Here in the UK, they are served in Indian restaurants and takeaways. but can be bought fresh in supermarkets too.
This tasty Indian snack is made from fresh onion slices and a batter made of chickpea flour (also known as gram flour), spices and water.
Easy to make, but as they are deep-fried most of us opt to buy them from an Indian restaurant or pick them up in the supermarket with our weekly shop.
Try this recipe for Onion Bhajis from Hint of Helen.
🍴 Shop-bought onion bhajis
While not as spectacular as freshly made, chilled onion bhajis found in the coolers of supermarkets are convenient to pick up while you are doing the weekly shop.
Best cooked until crisp and served as a snack or with curry ( I served them with my spinach and coconut dal, rice, and mango chutney), they can be eaten cold from the pack.
I regularly add them to sandwiches and wraps and the boy likes them in his school lunch box with some crunchy carrot and cucumber sticks with some hummus to dip it all in.
Talking of wraps, have you tried my onion bhaji lunch wrap? It's very different in flavour and texture to this sandwich but it is rather heavenly and has quite a rainbow of colours.
🥪 Onion bhaji sandwich ingredients
Here are the ingredients to make this amazing onion bhaji sandwich.
- wholemeal brown bread
- vegan mayo
- rocket (arugula)
- onion bhajis
- coronation coleslaw
- fresh coriander (optional)
See recipe card for quantities.
🥗 Coronation coleslaw
Vegan coronation coleslaw is a delicious slaw that includes cabbage, carrots, and raisins in a creamy curry dressing.
Coronation coleslaw is an important element in this sandwich, don't skip it!
You can make your own in a few minutes or have a look at the recipe for ideas to tweak supermarket slaw.
If you want to make your own (or make those tweaks) here is my easy recipe for vegan coronation coleslaw.
As well as sandwiches, add it to salads, pile it on your baked potato or serve it on a burger or hot dog.
It will soon become a favourite.
🧾 Onion bhaji sandwich substitutions
Here are a few tweaks you can make to the sandwich.
- Bread - swap the wholemeal bread for a soft bloomer, or why not use toast?
- Coleslaw - If you don't want to try the coronation coleslaw, you could use standard vegan coleslaw or why not try my carrot dill slaw?
- Rocket - swap the rocket (arugula) for baby spinach or just plain old salad leaves
You could also add some thin slices of red onion or slices of ripe tomato to the sandwich.
Make sure you have a napkin!
- Also try my Easy Vegetable Salad Sandwiches
🥪 More Vegan Sandwiches to try
Here are a few more tasty vegan sandwiches for you to try.
from the top down, left to right
- Hummus Beet Sandwich
- New York Deli Sandwich
- Italian White Bean & Tomato Sandwich
- Cheese Ploughman's Sandwich
- Cheese & Onion Sandwiches
- Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing
- Vegan Egg Mayo Sandwiches
👩🏻🍳 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter and I'll send the latest recipe straight to your inbox as soon as it is published.
Check your spam folder they don't arrive, I share a new recipe on each of my blogs every week.
📋 Pin it for later
🥦 Living on the Veg
Once you've signed up for my newsletters and followed me on social media, why not join my Facebook group Living on the Veg?
It's a very friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting. It's such a nice place to spend time.
Spicy Onion Bhaji Slaw Sandwich
- 2 slices wholemeal bread
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 handful rocket also known as arugula
- 2 onion bhajis
- 3 tbsp coronation coleslaw
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- Spread one slice of bread with the mayo and top with a layer of rocket.
- Top with onion bhajis in one layer, you may fit more than two on depending on the size.
- Add a layer of coronation coleslaw.
- Spread the other slice of bread with mango chutney, top your sandwich and cut in half.
- Try this recipe for vegan coronation coleslaw or use the same spices to tweak standard slaw. Heck you can use plain coleslaw if you like, but you'll miss a taste sensation.
- You could use bloomers bread or even toast to make this sandwich.
- This sandwich is best eaten on the day it is made.