Onion Bhaji Lunch Wrap. A colourful, vegan lunch wrap with the flavours of India and a rainbow of vegetables.
ONION BHAJI LUNCH WRAP
I do love a well-filled wrap for lunch. They make a nice change to sandwiches.
You can add so many different fillings and they are hearty and portable.
On the menu today is a colourful onion bhaji wrap.
It's our favourite wrap at the moment. It's easy to whip up and it has so much flavour and texture.
Onion bhaji is a type of Indian fritter a bit like pakora.
They are deep-fried for that crunchy finish.
The bhajis are made from sliced onions, gram flour, spices and water.
You can make your own, but for an easy and quick lunch wrap, you can use ready-made onion bhajis which are available in most supermarkets in the chilled aisle.
EAT THE RAINBOW
This is one colourful lunch!
They say you should eat the rainbow to improve your health and this wrap is definitely a rainbow.
As well as onion bhaji, this wrap also contains mixed salad leaves, grated vegan cheddar, grated vegetables and a drizzle of tasty sauce.
You can make your wrap even more nutritious by swapping the salad leaves for spinach or kale and serve it with a side salad, a piece of fruit and a small glass of fruit juice.
also try - Vegetable Pinwheel Sandwiches for Kids
PACKING LUNCH WRAPS
If you're adding a wrap to your lunch box, you need to think about how you pack it.
Make sure you wrap them tightly, cut in half and wrap firmly.
You can wrap them in greaseproof paper or foil.
If I am wrapping up a lunch wrap that may leak, I will wrap it in kitchen paper before wrapping in foil or greaseproof paper.
Serve with Easy Paprika Tortilla Chips
HOW LONG WILL A LUNCH WRAP KEEP?
Once made and wrapped a lunch wrap can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days.
It's always going to be best eaten the same day it is made, but you can get away with having it the next day, if it's well wrapped and stored in the fridge.
These wraps are not suitable for freezing.
For dinner, serve this wrap with a bowl of easy tomato soup
WHICH VEGETABLES CAN I GRATE OR SHRED AND ADD TO SANDWICHES OR WRAPS?
This wrap contains grated carrot and beetroot, but there are lots of vegetables you can grate or shred and add to sandwiches or wraps raw and uncooked.
- Beetroot - grate
- Brussels Sprouts - grate or shred
- Cabbage - shred
- Carrots - grate
- Courgette (zucchini) - grate
- Kale - shred
- Kohlrabi - grate or shred
- Lettuce - shred
- Onion - shred
- Parsnips - grate
- Radishes - grate
- Spinach - shred
MORE LUNCH WRAPS TO TRY
HOW TO FOLD A LUNCH WRAP
One of the most important thing about a lunch wrap is folding it the right way. Do it wrong or wrap it loosely and it will be a messy disaster.
Here are my easy steps.
- Place a large flour tortilla on a large plate or cutting board.
- Spread with dairy-free spread, mustard or mayo. These create a barrier between the wrap and the filling.
- Add your filling in a line horizontally about ¾ of the way up, leaving a border.
- Fold each side of the wrap partially over the filling.
- Fold the top of the wrap securely over the filling, holding firmly.
- Roll towards you, holding it firmly. You to wrap as tightly as you can without squashing the filling.
- Cut in half and serve or wrap in foil or greaseproof paper.
HOW TO MAKE ONION BHAJI LUNCH WRAPS
Onion Bhaji Lunch Wrap
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- 40 g salad leaves
- 2 spring onion sliced diagonally
- 4-6 onion bhajis depending on size
- 2 tbsp vegan cheddar grated
- 1 carrot grated
- 1-2 large beets cooked or pickled grated
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- Spread each tortilla with mayo.
- Add a handful of lettuce leaves ¾ way up of each tortilla horizontally, leaving a border.
- Top both with spring onions and then onion bhajis, horizontally again leaving a good border.
- Top both with grated vegan cheddar, grated carrot and grated beetroot.
- Drizzle each with mango chutney, wrap firmly and cut in half.
- You can swap the lettuce with kale or spinach.
- You may use homemade or shop-bought onion bhaji.
- You can use vegetable pakora instead of onion bhajis.
- You can chill this wrap for two days, but it doesn't freeze well.