An amazingly tasty vegan New York Deli Sandwich. A sandwich once tried, never forgotten. Try this easy recipe this week for a Big Apple style lunch.
New York Deli Sandwiches are, as you may guess, a sandwich made famous in the delicatessens of New York, but they have travelled the world in popularity.
You can buy vegetarian versions of this sandwich in Pret a Manger and Marks & Spencer, but it's time we claim it for vegans, and what better way than to make it fresh at home.
Honestly, I can guarantee you are going to love this sandwich!
Here are the ingredients you need to make my vegan version of a New York Deli Sandwich.
- Mayo (vegan)
- Salad leaves
- Pickled cabbage
- Coleslaw (vegan)
- Cheddar (vegan)
If you were ordering a New York Deli-style sandwich in the Lower East Side in Manhattan, your sandwich would probably be served on rye bread.
The rye bread served in New York is very different from the rye served here in the UK.
Our rye is generally dark, rich, and dense, almost like German pumpernickel.
Rye bread in the Lower East Side is a lighter, fluffier bread made with a mixture of rye flour and white flour. I use this style of mix in my light rye bloomer bread, which would be fabulous for this sandwich.
When I make this sandwich I usually use my regular wholemeal bread, which is lovely and soft.
No doubt a New York Delicatessen would likely serve Swiss cheese which is mild and almost nutty.
My preference is Violife sliced cheddar, which is also mild, so it works well in this sandwich.
Use your favourite vegan cheese. Go with something a bit stronger in flavour if you like.
Americans call them Dill Pickles, but in the UK they are called Gherkins. But what are they?
Basically, they are small cucumbers that are pickled.
Why are they called dill pickles In America? It's because dill is added to the vinegar.
Buy small pickled gherkins jarred whole or larger gherkins, jarred either whole or sliced.
Large sliced gherkins are good because they are evenly pre-cut making them perfect for adding to sandwiches.
Come on, it has to be American mustard for this one.
That bright yellow squeezy bottle that holds equally eye-popping yellow mustard.
And the good news is, it's suitable for vegans.
🥫 Pickled cabbage
This sandwich also contains pickled red cabbage. I also used it in my Vegan Reuben Sandwich and it's gorgeous stuff.
However, you could use sauerkraut instead. I will leave you to decide.
When in the Big Apple, you would be served sauerkraut for the original taste sensation, but I think pickled red cabbage makes a fabulous substitution.
🥪 More rocking vegan sandwiches to try
Vegan sandwiches you don't want to miss!
- British Cheese Ploughman's Sandwich
- Cheese Savoury Sandwich
- Classic Cheese & Onion Sandwiches
- Cuban Sandwich with Mushrooms
- Cucumber Sandwiches
- Hummus Beet Sandwich
- Italian White Bean & Tomato Sandwich
- Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing
Check out 39 of the Best Vegan Sandwiches
👩🏻🍳 Want New Recipes Delivered to your Inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter for lunch ideas and recipes straight to your inbox when they are published.
Also, sign up for my Tinned Tomatoes newsletter for a selection of recipes delivered to your inbox each week or sign up for my email updates and don't miss out on the latest recipe. Check your spam folder they don't arrive.
📋 Pin it for later
Once you've done that, join my Facebook group Living on the Veg. It's a very friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting.
🔪 Step-by-step photos
Step-by-step photos of the vegan New York Deli Sandwich being made. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe.
- Spread both slices of bread with vegan mayo and set one aside as the lid of our sandwich.
- Top with a generous handful of rocket or other salad leaves.
- Next top with a layer of pickled red cabbage or sauerkraut.
- The next delicious layer is vegan coleslaw. If your local shop or supermarket doesn't sell it, try my easy Vegan Carrot & Dill Coleslaw.
- Now top the slaw with a couple of slices of vegan cheddar.
- Add slices of gherkin or dill pickles. I like the jars of ready-sliced gherkins.
- Follow that up with a generous drizzle of yellow American mustard.
- Add the other, mayo-spread slice of bread, cut in half and serve.
- C'wah! Look at that!
Easy Vegan New York Deli Sandwich
- 2 slices wholemeal bread or rye bread
- 1 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 handful rocket also called arugula (or other salad leaves)
- 3 tbsp pickled red cabbage or sauerkraut
- 3 tbsp vegan coleslaw
- 2 slices vegan cheddar
- 3 slices pickled gherkins also known as dill pickles
- 1 tsp American mustard
- Spread both slices of bread with mayo and set one aside.
- Top one slice with rocket, then a layer of pickled cabbage.
- Next add a layer of coleslaw and top that with a couple of slices of vegan cheddar.
- Finish off by adding a few slices of pickled gherkin (dill pickles), a drizzle of mustard and then top with the other slice of bread and cut in half.
- Feel free to add a generous amount of filling.
- You may use your favourite bread to make this sandwich.
- The layer of mayo will help form a barrier to stop the sandwich from going soggy if you make it ahead but do pat the pickled cabbage or sauerkraut on kitchen paper to remove excess vinegar.