Easy mini vegan oat pancakes with cinnamon. They are soft and fluffy with the taste of a warming bowl of porridge with added cinnamon for spice.
Pancakes are requested regularly in my house and these mini vegan oat pancakes are my latest creation.
Both my husband and son love them, not to mention the dogs who hang about hopefully.
- Pancakes or American Flapjacks?
- What are flapjacks in Scotland?
- Homemade Oat flour
- How do you make oat flour?
- Gluten-free flour
- Oat milk
- Mini vegan oat pancakes
- Ingredients to make mini vegan oatmeal pancakes
- Variations to mini vegan oat pancakes
- How to serve mini vegan cinnamon pancakes
- Fun picnic platter
- More vegan pancake recipes to try
- Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
- Pin it for later
- Living on the Veg
- How to make mini vegan oat pancakes with cinnamon
- 📖 Recipe
Pancakes or American Flapjacks?
In Scotland, and in fact the whole of the UK we call these pancakes.
This type of pancake, which has a good rise, we call Scotch pancakes, and the thinner style are pancakes or crepes.
If you are in America, you may know these as flapjacks or flapjack pancakes.
What are flapjacks in Scotland?
To make things even more confusing, in Scotland flapjacks are traybakes made with porridge (rolled) oats.
Pretty much just a chewy oat bar.
Homemade Oat flour
Last year when I couldn't get hold of flour, I made my own oat flour and started experimenting with it in cakes and bakes.
I loved the almost nutty flavour.
I thought it would make really tasty pancakes and it does.
How do you make oat flour?
Oat flour is super easy to make.
Just whizz up porridge oats, which are also called rolled oats until they are a fine flour.
You can do this in a food processor or blender.
If you follow a gluten-free diet, you can make oat flour using gluten-free oats.
Just whizz them up the same way, into a fine flour.
Use exactly the same amount of flour to make gluten-free pancakes
Oat milk is another favourite of mine.
I also use oat milk to make these pancakes, but you could use your regular milk.
Mini vegan oat pancakes
Mini food is always so appealing, don't you think?
Of course, you can make these the size of Scotch pancakes or bigger American pancakes or flapjacks as I believe they are often called.
Oh, and the plate they are sitting on is actually a small saucer, just in case you are thinking these oatmeal pancakes aren't all that mini.
Ingredients to make mini vegan oatmeal pancakes
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make these cute little pancakes.
- porridge oats - also known as rolled oats
- caster sugar
- baking powder
- oat milk - or your regular milk
- vanilla extract
See recipe card for quantities.
Variations to mini vegan oat pancakes
Here are a few tweaks you can make to these pancakes.
- Brown sugar - instead of caster sugar
- Pumpkin spice - or mixed spice instead of cinnamon
- Raisins - added to the batter
- Cranberries - added to the batter
- Chocolate chips - added to the batter
How to serve mini vegan cinnamon pancakes
Here are some ideas for serving mini vegan oat cinnamon pancakes
- Plain - serve these mini vegan pancakes as they are
- Buttered - slather them in vegan butter
- Jam - slather them in vegan butter & jam or just jam
- Berries - serve them with berries and squirty cream
- Maple Syrup - drizzle maple syrup over these delicious little pancakes
- Chocolate spread - a favourite topping with children
- Marmalade - for a fruity topping
Fun picnic platter
In the summer I love to include these mini pancakes in a picnic platter to enjoy in the garden (or on the dining table if the weather is bad).
It's a nice way to serve up fruit and veg to children and big kids (adults).
Here's what I added:
- Broccoli florets
- Carrot Sticks
- Cucumber slices
- Rhubarb chutney
- Vegan cheese slices
- Mini oat pancakes
These pancakes are best eaten on the day they are made.
However, you can make them and serve them in lunchboxes the next day.
You can also make the batter before bed and then cook the pancakes in the morning, although it will thicken overnight, you may need to add a little more milk.
More vegan pancake recipes to try
Here are a few more easy pancake recipes for you to try:
- Blender Chocolate Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Blueberry & Cinnamon Pancakes
- Vegan Gingerbread Pancakes
Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
Sign up for my Vegan Lunch Box newsletter and I'll send the latest recipe straight to your inbox as soon as it is published.
Check your spam folder they don't arrive, I share a new recipe on each of my blogs every week.
Pin it for later
Living on the Veg
Once you've signed up for my newsletters and followed me on social media, why not join my Facebook group Living on the Veg?
It's a very friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting. It's such a nice place to spend time.
How to make mini vegan oat pancakes with cinnamon
Step-by-step photos of these vegan oat pancakes being made. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe.
- Whizz up the porridge (rolled oats) into a food processor or blender until you have a fine flour.
- Pour the flour into a bowl and add sugar.
- Add baking powder, salt and cinnamon and mix.
- Measure out your milk and add the vanilla extract to it.
- Pour the milk into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth. It's quite a thick mixture.
- Heat your pan or crepe maker and cook spoonfuls (I used a dessert spoon) of batter until it starts to bubble on the surface, then flip and give the other side a minute or two until golden.
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!
Mini Vegan Oat Pancakes with Cinnamon
- 150 g porridge oats also known as rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 150 ml oat milk or your regular milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Whizz up the oats in a food processor or blender until you have a fine flour.
- Add the flour to a bowl, then add your sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix.
- Measure your milk into a jug, then mix in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the milk into the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add spoonfulls to a heated pan or crepe maker and cook until they start to bubble on the surface, then flip and give the other side a wee while to cook until golden.
- Make in batches, then serve when warm with maple syrup or cold spread with vegan butter for lunchboxes.