Easy vegan banana pancakes. Super quick to make and they taste great!
VEGAN BANANA PANCAKES
These easy banana pancakes can be whipped up in a couple of minutes in a jug or bowl, then cooked in batches in a few minutes.
They make a quick breakfast, brunch or lunch and are good warm or cold.
These are Scottish-style pancakes.
The traditional Scottish pancakes are called Scotch pancakes.
They are traditionally small with a good rise and very soft and fluffy.
They are very similar to American pancakes but not as big. However, you could make bigger pancakes if you like.
REPLACING EGGS IN PANCAKES
WHAT GIVES SCOTCH PANCAKES THE RISE?
These golden pancakes are made with plain (all-purpose) flour and given that beautiful rise by adding baking powder.
You could use self-raising flour instead of plain flour and skip the baking powder and that would work well, but I think you get better results from the plain flour and baking powder combination.
ARE SCOTCH PANCAKES FLAVOURED WITH VANILLA?
Traditional Scotch pancakes don't contain vanilla extract, but as these contain banana the vanilla extract helps to even out the flavour.
It gives less banana flavour. Just a hint, which I think is enough in these pancakes.
Just don't use vanilla essence. Never, ever, it's nasty stuff. Always use a good quality vanilla extract or paste.
If you are feeling very flush, you could use the seeds from fresh vanilla pods, but that's a rather expensive option.
HOW SCOTCH PANCAKES ARE MADE
Once you have whipped up your pancake batter you can cook your pancakes in a frying pan, griddle (Scottish flat pan) or an electric crepe maker.
I treated myself to a Breville Crepe Maker. I was sick of my husband ruining my pancake pans by cooking veggie sausages in them.
It's an electric crepe maker and I love it. I'm making pancakes a lot more often now.
I use it to make pancakes, crepes and quesadillas. It's my favourite kitchen toy at the moment.
If you're using a frying pan or griddle, wipe a little oil over it with kitchen paper, then heat.
Once your pan or crepe maker is hot, pour some batter on the hot surface and once it bubbles flip the pancake over and give it a couple of minutes on the other side.
Once they are flipped over just watch them rise!
WHEN TO SERVE VEGAN BANANA PANCAKES
- Serve these pancakes hot for breakfast with maple syrup and banana.
- Serve them warm for brunch spread with vegan butter.
- Serve them plain and cold in lunch boxes or for an afternoon snack.
- Serve them as an after school snack for kids with some fresh fruit.
- Serve them warm for dessert with some chocolate sauce and vegan vanilla ice cream.
Have more bananas? Try this easy vegan chocolate orange banana bread. It is so good!
PANCAKE SERVING SUGGESTIONS
- Cold and plain
- Cold, spread with vegan butter
- Warm with maple syrup and bananas
- Warm with strawberries and vegan single cream
- Warm with slices of peaches, raspberries and vegan squirty cream
- Warm with peanut butter and sliced banana
- Warm with pears and chocolate sauce
- Warm with vanilla ice cream and melted chocolate
HOW DO YOU LIKE YOURS?
My son loves them warm with maple syrup or chocolate spread.
I like them warm with maple syrup and fresh fruit.
My husband likes them cold spread with vegan butter.
How do you like yours?
Leave a comment below and share your favourite way to serve pancakes.
MORE VEGAN PANCAKES TO TRY
- Blender Chocolate Pancakes
- Mini Vegan Oat Pancakes with Cinnamon
- Vegan Blueberry & Cinnamon Pancakes
also check out Kid- Friendly School Lunch Plan for Vegan Kids
HOW LONG WILL HOMEMADE PANCAKES KEEP IN THE FRIDGE?
Once cool these pancakes can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
If you want them fresh in the morning and want to save time, make up a batch of the pancake batter and leave it in the fridge overnight.
You may need to add a little milk in the morning, but they will be super quick and delicious.
HOW LONG WILL HOMEMADE PANCAKES KEEP IN THE FREEZER?
MORE VEGAN BREAKFAST RECIPES
- Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
- Creamy Blueberry, Banana & Coconut Porridge
- Scottish Potato Scones
- Vegan Blueberry Ginger Muffins
- Vegan Cheese & Chive Bread
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BANANA PANCAKES
Vegan Banana Pancakes
- 1 small banana or half a large banana
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 150 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 150 ml oat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add all the ingredients into a large measuring jug or a bowl and whisk until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat your pan, griddle or crepe maker. Brush it with a little oil if it isn't a good non-stick.
- Pour or spoon batter into your pan. Once the pancake bubbles all over you can flip it and cook on the other side for a couple of minutes.
- Make in batches and serve hot or cold.
- Once cool these pancakes can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- If you want them fresh in the morning and want to save time, make up a batch of the pancake batter and leave it in the fridge overnight.
- You may need to add a little milk in the morning, but they will be super quick and delicious.
- Once cool, these pancakes can be frozen for up to 3 months. To defrost, take them out at night and leave to defrost in the fridge overnight.