A simple recipe to make delicious smooth peanut butter at home.
EASY HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO YOU NEED TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER?
All you need to make peanut butter is peanuts.
Peanut butter is a really pure product, or it should be.
If you look on a jar of shop-bought peanut butter, most will contain peanuts, sugar, salt and stabilisers. They may include other additives too.
To make it at home all you need is some salted peanuts, that's it!
Of course you can use plain unsalted peanuts, but then you would want to add a little salt.
If you're using plain peanuts you want them to be skinned, as you don't want any skinned in the butter.
JUST PEANUTS, NOTHING ELSE?
Yep, just peanuts!
I use roasted salted peanuts. as they are already salted and it stops you from over-salting the peanut butter as it is already included.
You may have thought you need to add oil, but that's not the case as peanuts contain natural oil, so you don't need to add any.
You could also use flavoured peanuts to make peanut butter for a subtle flavouring.
You could use dry roasted peanuts, sweet chilli peanuts, BBQ peanuts or a mixture of salted peanuts and cashews.
WHICH NUTS CAN YOU MAKE NUT BUTTER WITH?
- Cashew Nuts
WHAT CAN YOU ADD TO NUT BUTTER?
You can add spices like paprika, cinnamon or chilli when making nut butter to give them flavour.
You can also add chia seeds or flax seeds to add extra nutrients.
TIPS FOR MAKING PEANUT BUTTER
- Use good quality roasted, salted nuts and don't add any extra salt or sugar, it doesn't need it.
- If you're using plain nuts, you can roast them first to give extra flavour.
- If you're using hazelnuts, blanch them first and remove the skin which can be bitter.
- You can mix different nuts to make a blend.
- You can add spices to your butter for extra flavour.
- If you have a high power blender, peanut butter just takes a couple of minutes to make. In a food processor it could take longer.
- Don't panic while making the peanut butter, it might seem to stall, but that's right before the moment it starts turning from a nutmeal type texture to a paste to a butter.
- During blending, stop the blender and scrape down the sides to give the butter a helping hand and make sure all the nuts are incorporated.
HOW TO MAKE CRUNCHY PEANUT BUTTER
It's super easy to make crunchy peanut butter.
Add extra nuts to the blender or food processor and pulse to start chopping the nuts.
Remove a portion of the nuts and set aside. Blend the rest of the nuts, then when you've made your peanut butter, fold in the reserved nuts.
HOW LONG WILL HOMEMADE PEANUT BUTTER KEEP?
Homemade peanut butter should be kept in the fridge in an airtight container.
It can be kept for 2-3 months.
If you've had peanut butter for a while and it smells sour, it is time to discard it.
- Serve it with rice cakes and slices of banana
- Serve it in a sandwich with strawberry jam
- Serve it on a sandwich with chocolate spread and banana
- Serve it with wedges of apple
- Fill celery sticks with peanut butter and top with raisins
- Eat it with fresh fruit
- Spread on fingers of toast
- Serve with plain or chocolate pretzels for dunking
SWEET RECIPES THAT INCLUDE PEANUT BUTTER
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Candy Bites
- Easy Peanut Butter Bars
- Easy Vegan Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Cookies
- No-Bake Peanut Butter & Cornflakes Chocolate Tiffin
- Peanut Butter Granola
- Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
- Vegan Peanut Butter Brownies
- Vegan Peanut Butter & Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
SAVOURY RECIPES THAT INCLUDE PEANUT BUTTER
- African Inspired Peanut Stew
- Houmous with Peanut Butter
- Peanut Butter Tofu
- Peanut Vegetable Noodles
- Satay Sauce
- Slow Cooker Lentil & Peanut Butter Soup
- Spicy Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing
HOW TO MAKE PEANUT BUTTER
Easy Homemade Peanut Butter
- 225 g roasted salted peanuts
- Add roasted salted peanuts to a blender jug or a
food processor bowl. Add the lid, fit onto the base and switch on.
- Blend or pulse until smooth.
- During blending it will slow down, stop the machine and scrape down the sides with a spatula to make sure it's all incorporated.
- This will take 2 minutes in a high-speed power blender but will take a few minutes longer in a standard blender or food processor, so be patient. It will turn into peanut butter.
- This peanut butter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 months.
- Once it's made you can stir in chopped nuts to make crunchy peanut butter.
- For a luxury spread, once the peanut butter is made stir in maple syrup or chocolate chips.