This homemade vegan orange ice cream is made with fresh oranges & it's no-churn, so you don't need an ice cream maker. It's easy to make too!
How good does that look?
It tastes good too. Creamy and light and fruity.
Super easy to make too.
- 🍨 Homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker
- 🥫 Condensed milk ice cream
- 🥫 Is condensed milk ice cream as good as regular ice cream?
- 🥛 Ingredients
- 🍊 Can I use orange essence?
- 🍫 Make it chocolate orange ice cream
- 🌡️ Which containers are best for freezing homemade ice cream
- 🧾 More vegan condensed milk recipes
- 📋 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
- ⭐ Pin it for later
- 🥦 Living on the Veg
- 👩🏻🍳 Step-by-step photos
- 📖 Recipe
🍨 Homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker
If you have the room and budget to have an ice cream maker, they are great, but you can make ice cream without them.
Without an ice cream maker you would normally make up your ice cream mixture, pop it in the freezer, then take it out again to whip several times before it is ready ie the churning.
However there is a type of easy ice cream which doesn't need an ice cream maker or hand churning.
🥫 Condensed milk ice cream
The secret ingredient is condensed milk.
It makes a wonderfully creamy ice cream mixture that is whisked before it is frozen, but does not need to be churned,
You just pop it in the freezer until you are ready to eat it.
And the good news is you can now buy vegan condensed milk, which is coconut based.
🥫 Is condensed milk ice cream as good as regular ice cream?
Oh yes, it's just as good and so easy to make.
The only difference in my opinion is it needs to sit a little longer to soften before you scoop it than regular ice cream.
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this delicious vegan ice cream.
🍊 Can I use orange essence?
No, you are really better to use fresh oranges.
It will give you the best flavour.
For extra flavour, add finely grated orange zest.
For another orange dessert, try this vegan fruit trifle with microwave sponge pudding.
🍫 Make it chocolate orange ice cream
You will laugh. I meant to make this ice cream orange choc chip, but forgot to add the chocolate chips.
If you would like too add them, fold them in once the mixture is whipped and ready to pour into your container.
🌡️ Which containers are best for freezing homemade ice cream
Any freezer-friendly container will do.
I tend to use a loaf tin, but you could use a glass casserole dish, re-use an ice cream tub, or just some tupperware.
If your container doesn't have a lid, you could just cover the orange ice cream with cling film.
Just make sure it's suitable to use in the freezer.
🧾 More vegan condensed milk recipes
Here are a few more vegan condensed milk recipes you might like to try.
- Coconut Ice
- Creamy Biscoff Ice Cream
- Mini Egg Fudge
- Peach Ice Cream (no churn)
- Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream
- Scottish Rum Chocolate Truffles
- Stracciatella Ice Cream (no-churn)
📋 Want new recipes delivered to your inbox?
If you don't want to miss any of my new recipes, sign up in the green box below and I will send you my new recipes by email when they are published.
Never miss a recipe again!
Check your spam folder if they don't arrive, I share a new recipe on each of my blogs every week.
⭐ Pin it for later
🥦 Living on the Veg
Once you've signed up for my newsletters and followed me on social media, why not join my Facebook group Living on the Veg?
Such a friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting. It's such a nice place to spend time.
👩🏻🍳 Step-by-step photos
Step-by-step photos. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe for vegan orange ice cream (with full ingredient list and nutritional info).
- First wash your oranges thoroughly and finely zest them, then juice them.
- Whip cold vegan double cream in a bowl with an electric hand whisk, hand whisk (if you are feeling very energetic), or in a stand mixer.
- Add vanilla extract and whip again until thick.
- Pour in the condensed milk and whisk again.
- Then gradually add the orange juice and zest, while whipping. The mixture won't be as thick but it will be light and fluffy.
- Pour into your container and freeze for a few hours.
- Take out of the freezer a little while before serving to allow it to soften.
Homemade Vegan Orange Ice Cream
- 3 large oranges
- 250 ml vegan double cream
- 185 g condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Finely zest and juice the oranges.
- Pour the cold cream into a mixing bowl, add the vanilla extract and whisk until thick.
- Add the condensed milk and whisk again.
- Now add the orange juice with zest a bit at a time while whisking.
- Pour into your freezer container and freeze for 4 hours.
- Allow it to sit to soften a little before serving.