Stracciatella is one of Italy's most popular ice creams. For an easy version that's no churn, try this vegan stracciatella ice cream recipe.
Super easy to make without an ice cream maker, you don't even need to churn this deliciously creamy ice cream.
This recipe for stracciatella ice cream was inspired by my homemade vegan orange ice cream and my easy vegan peach ice cream which are also no churn recipes that have been really popular with my family.
- 💭 What is stracciatella?
- 💬 How do you pronounce stracciatella?
- 🍦 What flavour is stracciatella ice cream?
- 🍨 No need for an ice cream maker
- 👩🏻🍳 What do you need to make this no-churn vegan ice cream
- 🍫 Which type of chocolate
- 🍫 Can't be faffed grating chocolate?
- 📖 Variations
- ⏲️ How long does homemade ice cream keep?
- ⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
- 🧁 More easy vegan dessert recipes
- 👩🏻🍳 How to make no-churn vegan stracciatella ice cream
- 📖 Recipe
💭 What is stracciatella?
Stracciatella can be a soup, a cheese or a type of ice cream in Italy.
When translated the word actually means little rags.
So in the ice cream or gelato, it refers to the strands of finely grated chocolate.
It was created in Ristorante La Marianna in Bergamo, in northern Italy way back in 1961.
💬 How do you pronounce stracciatella?
You may be tripping over yourself trying to pronounce this one.
If it was written phonically it would read stratch-a-tell-la.
I hope that helps.
🍦 What flavour is stracciatella ice cream?
This popular Italian ice cream (or gelato) is a milky vanilla ice cream with fine shavings of chocolate.
It's absolutely glorious.
🍨 No need for an ice cream maker
You don't need an ice cream maker to make this Italian ice cream, although it would usually be made in one.
There's no need to keep taking it out of the freezer to churn it either.
This simple method using vegan condensed milk and vegan cream requires no churning.
👩🏻🍳 What do you need to make this no-churn vegan ice cream
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this luscious dairy-free dessert.
- Dark chocolate - make sure it is suitable for vegans as some contain milk
- Double cream - plant-based
- Condensed milk - vegan
- Vanilla extract - not essence
- Salt - just a pinch
See the printable recipe card below for quantities and method.
🍫 Which type of chocolate
Traditionally stracciatella is made with slivers of dark chocolate.
You can buy chocolate in shreds, but it's easy enough to do at home. Here are a few options, which all give a slightly different texture.
- Grate the chocolate - with a box grater
- Peel shreds of chocolate - with a potato peeler
- Chop finely - with a really sharp knife
🍫 Can't be faffed grating chocolate?
Why not use dark chocolate vermicelli?
Chocolate vermicelli may look like chocolate strands or sprinkles, but it is very different.
Chocolate strands are just coloured and sometimes flavoured sugar strands, but vermicelli is actually made from chocolate.
So, it's much better quality and tastes better.
Now it's fab just how it is but if you want to change it up a bit, here are a few ideas.
- Raspberries - add fresh raspberries
- Sprinkles- add coloured spinkles for a bit of colour
- Biscotti biscuits - crush them and fold them through the ice cream
- Oreos - crush them and fold them through the ice cream
If you like the sound of a biscotti ice cream, try my Creamy Vegan Biscoff Ice Cream, which is also no-churn.
⏲️ How long does homemade ice cream keep?
Store it in an airtight container and you can keep it for about a month.
If you are just making it for the next day or for later the same day, you can make it in a loaf tin like I did.
Keep it uncovered longer and it could get freezer burn.
⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
Have you seen the little heart in The Vegan Lunchbox ?
Hit it to like the recipe.
Or hit the molecule-like symbol beside it, to save your favourite recipes or share them.
🧁 More easy vegan dessert recipes
Here are a few more easy dessert recipes for you to try.
- Chocolate Mousse - sweetened with dates
- Fruit Trifle - with microwave sponge pudding
- Jam Doughnut Muffins - so, so good
- Microwave Apple Crumble - made in a mug in minutes
- Pecan Pie with Peanut Butter - a no-bake fridge cake
- Quick Vegan Iced Buns - because vegans deserve cream cakes too!
For more vegan bakes, cakes and desserts check out my recipe index.
👩🏻🍳 How to make no-churn vegan stracciatella ice cream
Step-by-step photos. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe (with full ingredient list and nutritional info).
Step 1 - The Chocolate
- First, grate the chocolate. I used a box grater.
- I didn't have enough chocolate, so I added some chocolate vermicelli too.
Step 2 - Vanilla ice cream base
- Whisk up the cold vegan cream until thick.
- Add the vegan condensed milk, the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and whisk again.
Step 3 - Add the chocolate
- Now add the grated chocolate to the ice cream mixture and fold in.
- Don't over-beat it, as you don't want to knock out the air you whisked in.
- Pour into your freezer tub and freeze for 4 hours or more.
- Take out of the freezer and allow to soften a little before scooping.
- For a clean scoop, heat the ice cream scoop in hot water before scooping.
Vegan stracciatella ice cream (no churn)
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 250 ml vegan double cream
- 185 g vegan condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- First grate your chocolate using a box grater or a vegetable peeler and set it aside.
- Whisk the cold cream until thick.
- Add the condensed milk, vanilla and salt and whisk again.
- Pour in the chocolate and fold in, being careful not to over-beat it. You don't want to knock the air out of it.
- Pour into your freezer-friendly tub.
- Freeze it for 4 hours or overnight.