Vegan corn grinder salad is the delicious dressed salad in grinder sandwiches but you can serve it alone for the perfect summer salad.
My latest and greatest summer salad is this vegan grinder salad with corn.
It's the dressing that makes this one special as well as the crunch from the lettuce and cucumber and some sweetness from the corn.
- 🥪 What is a grinder sandwich
- 🥬 Which type of lettuce?
- 🥛 What is the best vegan dressing for a grinder salad or a grinder sandwich?
- 🥗 What do you need to make a vegan grinder salad?
- 🥒 Preparing cucumber for salads
- 🥙 How to serve a grinder salad
- 🥪 Here are some vegan sandwiches to serve with a vegan chopped salad
- 🥦 Living on the Veg
- 👩🏻🍳 Step-by-step photos
- 📖 Recipe
🥪 What is a grinder sandwich
So this is the dressed salad that's added to a grinder sandwich, but what is a grinder sandwich?
Grinder sandwiches first came to my attention on TikTok.
They weren't vegan but I knew they could so easily be tweaked.
Filled with dressed salad, tomatoes, deli meats, and cheese.
I make grinder sandwiches vegan with these simple swaps.
- Slices of cheese - slices of vegan cheese
- Deli meat - grilled or baked tofu
- Creamy Italian dressing - use vegan mayo
Here is my recipe for a Tofu Grinder Sandwich. I hope you try it.
🥬 Which type of lettuce?
The type of lettuce in this salad is really important.
It needs to be crunchy.
Iceberg lettuce or baby gem lettuce both work well.
They hold the dressing well and give a good crunch.
🥛 What is the best vegan dressing for a grinder salad or a grinder sandwich?
The dressing is the thing that makes the grinder sandwiches and salad so special. Well in my opinion.
It's a creamy Italian dressing.
And it is lush.
I have a simple recipe for a small batch of this vegan creamy Italian dressing. Do try it.
It's good on salads, or as a dip for pizza crusts, potato wedges or sweet potato fries.
It's delicious drizzled on the filling in salad wraps and pitta bread.
🥗 What do you need to make a vegan grinder salad?
Here are the simple ingredients you need for a vegan grinder salad.
- Baby Gem Lettuce - or iceberg lettuce
- Red Onion
- Peppadew Peppers - small peppers with a bit of heat in a tangy brine (you could use roasted pepper instead and add chilli)
- White Wine Vinegar - or another clear vinegar like cider vinegar
- Dried Oregano
- Chilli Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
Love corn? Try this easy, but authentic corn curry.
🥒 Preparing cucumber for salads
Taking an extra couple of minutes to prepare the cucumber makes all the difference when making a salad.
Cucumbers can be quite wet, so it's a good idea to deseed them.
Just cut the cucumber in half lengthways, then use a teaspoon to remove the seeds.
Just scoop it along the centre. It's super easy to do.
Then, you are left with crunch cucumber without all the wet moosh.
🥙 How to serve a grinder salad
I want to say just with a fork, but it actually makes a great vegan side salad.
Serve it on a :
- Sandwich - on a grinder sandwich or on a sandwich with vegan deli slices or vegan cheese.
- Burger - top a burger in a bun with a generous portion of this salad.
- Hot Dog - pile it high on a hot dog, trust me it works.
- Pitta Bread - with falafel.
- Pizza - on the side with a slice or two of pizza, saving a little dressing to dunk the crusts in.
- Taco - in a taco with spicy grilled tofu.
- Baked Potato - with a baked potato and hummus or cheese.
🥪 Here are some vegan sandwiches to serve with a vegan chopped salad
Some of my favourite vegan sandwiches.
- Cuban Sandwiches with Mushrooms
- New York Deli Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Mayo Sandwiches
- White Bean & Tomato Sandwiches
Also, try this delicious chopped lentil couscous salad.
Pin it for later
🥦 Living on the Veg
Once you've signed up for my newsletters and followed me on social media, why not join my Facebook group Living on the Veg?
Such a friendly community with lots of recipes and chat. I'm in there every day chatting. It's such a nice place to spend time.
👩🏻🍳 Step-by-step photos
Step-by-step photos. Keep scrolling for the full printable recipe for the best creamy Italian dressing (with full ingredient list and nutritional info).
- Prep your veg, then add the shredded lettuce, cucumber, corn and peppers to a large bowl.
- Add sliced onion, then mix well.
- Now make up your dressing (printable recipe below) and pour over the salad.
- Mix well and serve.
Vegan Grinder Salad with Corn
- 2 baby gem lettuce (or a small iceberg lettuce, shredded)
- ½ cucumber (halved lengthways and seeds removed, then sliced)
- ½ red onion finely sliced
- 10 small peppadew peppers (or 1 roasted red pepper, chopped)
- 165 g canned corn (198g/7 oz can, drained)
- 5 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon chilli flakes (more if you like)
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- First, make your salad dressing. Add all the dressing ingredients to a clean jam jar or other dressing container, add the lid and shake well to emulsify.
- Taste to check the seasoning and adjust if necessary, then set aside.
- Prep your salad vegetables, then add the to a large bowl, I used a mixing bowl.
- Once you are ready to serve, add the dressing and mix well to coat.