If you crave a plant-based deli 'meat' sandwich, try this vegan pepperoni cheese sandwich with vegan pepperoni (super easy to make at home).
I spent a while developing the best vegan pepperoni.
You might think I wanted to make it for pizza, and although that is true, we love it on a vegan pepperoni cheese sandwich.
It's just so darn tasty and super easy to make too.
These vegan deli slices really up the sandwich game.
💭 Is shop-bought vegan deli meat as good as homemade?
Now don't get me wrong, I love that there is so much choice for vegans in supermarkets now and vegan deli slices are super convenient.
However, homemade vegan lunch meat is always going to be better.
It's easy to make, made fresh and you can tweak the flavours.
Healthier too, as there are no articifical colourings, preservatives or flavourings.
💭 Is vegan pepperoni easy to make at home?
Vegan pepperoni, is a type of seitan and it is super easy to make at home.
Unlike most seitan deli meat recipes, my recipe is easy.
There's no washing or steaming it.
Just mix the wet ingredients, mix the dry ingredients, bring it together with a quick knead (just fold it on itself a few times) and shape it before cooking it in an air fryer or the oven.
Have a look at my easy pepperoni recipe, scribble down the recipe or print it out so you can make these delicious vegan deli sandwiches and add it to pizza.
💭 Vegan pepperoni FAQs
Here are some vegan pepperoni questions answered.
Vegan pepperoni is made with vital wheat gluten, vegetable stock, olive oil, herbs and spices.
Vital wheat gluten is a type of flour where most of the starch has been removed, so it is super high in gluten.
This makes a very stretchy dough, which when cooked has the perfect texture for vegan meat replacements.
Plant-based pepperoni is much healthier than meat-based pepperoni.
It is much lower in fat, lower in sodium (salt) and high in protein. It is also healthier for the planet.
Meat-free pepperoni is just as delicious as the meaty alternative. It is made with the same spices and has the same 'meaty' texture thanks to the vital wheat gluten.
📋 Vegan pepperoni & cheese sandwich ingredients
Here are the simple ingredients you need to make this gorgeous vegan pepperoni sandwich.
- Bread - bloomers, tiger or country style bread
- Vegan pepperoni slices - or other plant-based deli slices
- Mayo - vegan of course
- Mustard - yellow American mustard, djion mustard or wholegrain mustard
- Salad leaves - or lettuce
- Tomatoes - ripe salad tomatoes
- Dried oregano - to sprinkle on the tomato slices
See recipe card for quantities.
Here are a few other ideas for stacking up a vegan pepperoni sandwich.
- Roast vegetables - mayo, vegan pepperoni, roast vegetables and pesto
- BBQ - bbq sauce, pepperoni, vegan cheese slices and salad leaves
- Caprese - a toasted sandwich with sundried tomato paste, pepperoni, grated vegan mozzarella (melted)
- Pickled Cabbage - try this easy homemade pickled cabbage.
🥪 Sandwich spreads
Try some of these sandwich spread ideas for your next vegan lunch 'meat' sandwich.
- Butter - vegan of course, or spread
- Cream cheese - vegan
- Garlic butter - vegan butter or spread mixed with fresh herbs and garlic
- Hummus - try this easy hummus recipe
- Pesto - try this cashew pesto
- Sundried tomato paste
- Red pepper paste - or roast pepper tapenade
- Tapenade - try my black olive tapenade
⭐ Hit the heart (NEW)
Have you seen the little heart?
Hit it to like the recipe.
Or hit the molecule-like symbol beside it, to save your favourite recipes or share them.
🥪 More vegan sandwiches
Here are a few more delicious vegan sandwiches for you to try next.
- Caprese Sandwich (toasted or air fryer grilled)
- Cheese & Onion Sandwich
- Cheese Ploughman's Sandwich
- Cuban Sandwich with Mushrooms
- Falafel & Apple Salad Sandwich
- Hummus Beet Sandwich
- Italian White Bean & Tomato Sandwich
- New York Deli Sandwich
- Reuben Sandwich with Russian Dressing
- Spicy Onion Bhaji Sandwich with Curried Slaw
- Tofu Grinder Salad Sandwich
- Vegan Egg Mayo Sandwich
- Vegetable Salad Sandwich
For more ideas check out my sandwiches, wraps and bagel recipes.
Vegan Pepperoni Cheese Sandwich with Vegan Deli 'Meat'
- 2 slices bloomers bread (or tiger bread, sourdough or your favourite bread)
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 1 handful salad leaves
- 7 slices vegan pepperoni
- 1 slice vegan cheddar
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- Spread one slice of bread with mayo and the other with mustard.
- Top the mayo spread slice with salad leaves, then pepperoni, followed by the cheese.
- Now add the slices of ripe tomato and sprinkle some oregano over the tomato slices.
- Top with the other side, cut in half and serve.
- This sandwich can be made the night before and kept in the fridge for the next day.
- Try it toasted too!